ylim and display behavior

I was trying to track down a ylim related freeze problem in pylab 0.81. Not much luck so far, but I did run across another issue. Can someone try this and see if it displays sensible results in the latest versions?

import pylab as p
p.cla()
p.plot([0,1.6], [10000, -0.05])
p.plot([0,2], [-.050, 10000])
p.xlim((-.1, 1.8))
p.ylim((-.1, 0.1))
p.show()

For me using TkAgg / python 2.3 I see a large filled triangle from the second plot command and nothing from the first. Admittedly this is usually not a practial issue but I’m wondering if it’s somehow related to the freeze I sometimes see when plotting data with a few points far outside of the present axis scale.

– David

Hello Dave,

Dave schrieb:

I was trying to track down a ylim related freeze problem in pylab 0.81. Not much luck so far, but I did run across another issue. Can someone try this and see if it displays sensible results in the latest versions?
import pylab as p
p.cla()
p.plot([0,1.6], [10000, -0.05])
p.plot([0,2], [-.050, 10000])
p.xlim((-.1, 1.8))
p.ylim((-.1, 0.1))
p.show()
For me using TkAgg / python 2.3 I see a large filled triangle from the second plot command and nothing from the first. Admittedly this is usually not a practial issue but I'm wondering if it's somehow related to the freeze I sometimes see when plotting data with a few points far outside of the present axis scale.
-- David

Regarding the freeze: I had a similar problem when I implemented my own zoom method about a week ago. I don't really know the reason for this behaviour -- my computer would freeze completely once I zoomed in to much (a very stable Slackware machine... sniff) .

I tried out the new matplotlib 0.83.1 and now everything is fine again.

Regards,

Niklas.