wxpython matplotlib figure resize

Hi all,

I am currently trying to use matplotlib with wxPython and all is going well except for one annoying issue that I can't figure out.

I initialize a wxcanvas object with a figure and then throughout the life of the program I want the canvas' figure to change and display the corresponding plot. I can get the change of figure, but when the program goes to plot, the figure isn't the right size. It changes to the right size only when I manually resize the figure (see attached images). Is there some command that I am missing? This is the update sequence I am using:

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.figure.clear()
        self.canvas.figure = self.figure
        self.canvas.draw()
        self.color_background()

#self.GetParent().Layout()
        #self.SetSizer(self.main_sizer)
        #self.Fit()
        self.SendSizeEvent()

As you can tell from the comments (there are more in my code), I have tried a variety of ways to update the figure off the bat.

Thanks!

Josh

before_manual_resize.png

after_manual_resize.png

Hi,

I am interested in a better solution to this problem, but I have used this simple method to force the right size.

def tickle(self):

#gets frame to redraw and resize, not elegant.

if self.IsMaximized(): #then needs a kick

self.Restore()

self.Maximize()

else:

x,y = self.GetSize()

self.SetSize((x-1, y-1))

self.SetSize((x, y))

Regards,

Keith

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

···

Koehler [mailto:jjkoehler9@…287…]
Sent: Saturday, 7 July 2012 1:51 a.m.
To: matplotlib-users@…813…ourceforge.net
Subject: [Matplotlib-users] wxpython matplotlib figure resize

Hi all,

I am currently trying to use matplotlib with wxPython and all is going well except for one annoying issue that I can’t figure out.

I initialize a wxcanvas object with a figure and then throughout the life of the program I want the canvas’ figure to change and display the corresponding plot. I can get the change of figure, but when the program goes to plot, the figure isn’t the right size.
It changes to the right size only when I manually resize the figure (see attached images). Is there some command that I am missing? This is the update sequence I am using:

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.draw()

self.color_background()

#self.Fit()

self.SendSizeEvent()

As you can tell from the comments (there are more in my code), I have tried a variety of ways to update the figure off the bat.

Thanks!

Josh

Live Security Virtual Conference

Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today’s security and

threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions

will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware

threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Matplotlib-users mailing list

Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this electronic transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender. This information may be legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the contents of this electronically transmitted information is strictly prohibited.

This may be similar to a Qt-backend bug, which didn’t take the toolbar into account when resizing the figure:

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/756

It doesn’t quite fit, though, because Josh’s original example shows a figure that’s the correct size (but the axes doesn’t fill the figure). The toolbar issue tended to squish the axes in the vertical direction (at least in the GUI window), whereas Josh’s example is squished in the horizontal direction.

Keith: Are you also using the Wx-backend? I don’t have Wx installed so I can’t provide much help. I’ve been planning to take a look at a similar issue in the Tk backend, but haven’t had time.

Best,

-Tony

···

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Keith Jones <K.Jones@…1546…> wrote:

Hi,

I am interested in a better solution to this problem, but I have used this simple method to force the right size.

def tickle(self):
        self.Restore()
        self.Maximize()
    else:
        x,y = self.GetSize()
        self.SetSize((x-1, y-1))
        self.SetSize((x, y))

Regards,

Keith

To: matplotlib-users@…1735…sourceforge.net

Hi all,

I am currently trying to use matplotlib with wxPython and all is going well except for one annoying issue that I can’t figure out.

I initialize a wxcanvas object with a figure and then throughout the life of the program I want the canvas’ figure to change and display the corresponding plot. I can get the change of figure, but when the program goes to plot, the figure isn’t the right size.
It changes to the right size only when I manually resize the figure (see attached images). Is there some command that I am missing? This is the update sequence I am using:

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.draw()

self.color_background()

#self.Fit()

self.SendSizeEvent()

Thanks!

Josh

Hi Josh,

Yes I too am using the wx backend.

Regards,

Keith

···

Yu [mailto:tsyu80@…287…]
Sent: Friday, 13 July 2012 3:16 p.m.
To: Keith Jones
Cc: Joshua Koehler; matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] wxpython matplotlib figure resize

Hi,

def tickle(self):

self.Restore()

self.Maximize()

else:

x,y = self.GetSize()

self.SetSize((x-1, y-1))

self.SetSize((x, y))

Regards,

Keith

Joshua Koehler [mailto:jjkoehler9@…287…]
To:
matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi all,

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.draw()

self.color_background()

#self.Fit()

self.SendSizeEvent()

Thanks!

Josh

This may be similar to a Qt-backend bug, which didn’t take the toolbar into account when resizing the figure:

It doesn’t quite fit, though, because Josh’s original example shows a figure that’s the correct size (but the axes doesn’t fill the figure). The toolbar issue tended
to squish the axes in the vertical direction (at least in the GUI window), whereas Josh’s example is squished in the horizontal direction.

Keith: Are you also using the Wx-backend? I don’t have Wx installed so I can’t provide much help. I’ve been planning to take a look at a similar issue in the Tk backend,
but haven’t had time.

Best,

-Tony

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this electronic transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender. This information may be legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the contents of this electronically transmitted information is strictly prohibited.

Hi Keith,

How are you storing the plot in the frame/panel?

Josh

···

On Jul 12, 2012, at 11:59 PM, Keith Jones wrote:

Hi Josh,

Regards,

Keith

Hi,

def tickle(self):
        self.Restore()
        self.Maximize()
    else:
        x,y = self.GetSize()
        self.SetSize((x-1, y-1))
        self.SetSize((x, y))

Regards,

Keith

To: matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi all,

I initialize a wxcanvas object with a figure and then throughout the life of the program I want the canvas’ figure to change and display the corresponding plot. I can get the change of figure, but when the program goes to plot, the figure isn’t the right size. It changes to the right size only when I manually resize the figure (see attached images). Is there some command that I am missing? This is the update sequence I am using:

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.draw()
    self.color_background()

#self.Fit()
    self.SendSizeEvent()

Thanks!

Josh

It doesn’t quite fit, though, because Josh’s original example shows a figure that’s the correct size (but the axes doesn’t fill the figure). The toolbar issue tended to squish the axes in the vertical direction (at least in the GUI window), whereas Josh’s example is squished in the horizontal direction.

Keith: Are you also using the Wx-backend? I don’t have Wx installed so I can’t provide much help. I’ve been planning to take a look at a similar issue in the Tk backend, but haven’t had time.

Best,

-Tony

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this electronic transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender. This information may be legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the contents of this electronically transmitted information is strictly prohibited.

Hi Josh,
I am not quite sure what information you need, but I have an application with several wx notebooks, each with pages carrying related but different 2D and 3D plots. I hope this overview covers what you want. In the code below I set up the axes and toolbar
in each panel ready to accept plots as required. I use wxFormbuilder to create MyFrame1 and then this code to add graphs and other functionality. The ‘tickle’ function is called when a notebook is selected for display.

import wx

from matplotlib.backends.backend_wxagg import FigureCanvasWxAgg as FigureCanvas

from matplotlib.backends.backend_wxagg import NavigationToolbar2WxAgg

from matplotlib.figure import Figure

from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d import Axes3D

class ProjectFrame(bare_gui.MyFrame1):

def init( self, parent):

bare_gui.MyFrame1.init( self, parent)

self.Create2DGraph(self.CT_graph_1, “Current / %”)#CT notebook

self.Create2DGraph(self.VT_graph_1, “Voltage/ %”)#VT notebook

self.Show(True)

def Create2DGraph(self, panel, xlabel):

panel.figure = Figure(None)

panel.canvas = FigureCanvas(panel, -1, panel.figure)

panel.axes1 = panel.figure.add_subplot(2,1,1)

panel.axes2 = panel.figure.add_subplot(2,1,2)

panel.axes1.set_xlabel(xlabel)

panel.axes1.set_ylabel(‘Error / %’)

panel.axes2.set_xlabel(xlabel)

panel.axes2.set_ylabel(‘Phase / crad’)

panel.sizer = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)

panel.sizer.Add(panel.canvas, 1, wx.LEFT | wx.TOP | wx.GROW)

panel.SetSizer(panel.sizer)

panel.Fit()

self.add_2Dtoolbar(panel)

def add_2Dtoolbar(self, panel):

panel.toolbar = NavigationToolbar2WxAgg(panel.canvas)

panel.toolbar.Realize()

tw, th = panel.toolbar.GetSizeTuple()

fw, fh = panel.canvas.GetSizeTuple()

panel.toolbar.SetSize(wx.Size(fw, th))

panel.sizer.Add(panel.toolbar, 0, wx.LEFT | wx.EXPAND)

update the axes menu on the toolbar

panel.toolbar.update()

def Create3DGraph(self, panel):

panel.ax = Axes3D(panel.figure)

#these labels should be selected later for specific components

panel.ax.set_xlabel(‘Current / %’)

panel.ax.set_ylabel(‘Phase / degree’)

panel.ax.set_zlabel(‘Error / %’)

panel.Fit()

···

Sent: Friday, 13 July 2012 10:45 p.m.

Hi Keith,

Josh

Hi Josh,

Regards,

Keith

Hi,

def tickle(self):
        self.Restore()
        self.Maximize()
    else:
        x,y = self.GetSize()
        self.SetSize((x-1, y-1))
        self.SetSize((x, y))

Regards,

Keith

Hi all,

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.draw()

self.color_background()

#self.Fit()

self.SendSizeEvent()

Thanks!

Josh

It doesn’t quite fit, though, because Josh’s original example shows a figure that’s the correct size (but the axes doesn’t fill the figure). The toolbar issue tended to squish the axes in the
vertical direction (at least in the GUI window), whereas Josh’s example is squished in the horizontal direction.

Best,

-Tony

Yes, my apologies for being a bit vague. Hopefully the following can help you out, but I can’t make promises. It did fix the issue for me.

First off, from reading other threads about handling figures, it might be better to use matplotlib.pylab.figure instead of matplotlib.figure. Apparently the former registers the figure with a manager which allows for better cleanup.

Second, it looks to me from your code as if you are creating a figure every time a new plot is created. Is this correct? Or are these functions just called on startup? If you are creating a new figure each time for a plot, (which is what I was originally doing) you should redesign so you keep the same figure and then just update the subplots. Clear the figure and then add the appropriate subplots. Here is a segment from my code:

def plot(figure, rows, cols, graph, title):

figure.clear()

plt.figure(figure.number)

pos_counter = 1

for g in graph:

g.axes = figure.add_subplot(rows, cols, pos_counter)

if title:

g.axes.set_title(g.plot_title)

plot_nx(g, plot_options=g.plot_options)

pos_counter = pos_counter + 1

figure.canvas.draw()

plt is the pylab module from matplotlib and plot_nx is an internal call to networkx plotting capabiility (same as if you called the pyplot.plot). If you do use pylab, make sure to include the plt.figure(figure.number) call as this seems to be a bug (or perhaps this just is with networkx integration).

This setup works for me rather well. I no longer have to manually resize anything.

I hope that helps. If not, I am at a loss for what would be a good way to proceed. I, probably like you, spent a long time trying to figure this one out and found this to be the best solution. It might be good to go with the clunky mechanism since it works and wait until this is addressed later (if it is indeed a bug)

Regards,

Josh

···

On Jul 14, 2012, at 4:13 AM, Keith Jones wrote:

Hi Josh,
I am not quite sure what information you need, but I have an application with several wx notebooks, each with pages carrying related but different 2D and 3D plots. I hope this overview covers what you want. In the code below I set up the axes and toolbar in each panel ready to accept plots as required. I use wxFormbuilder to create MyFrame1 and then this code to add graphs and other functionality. The ‘tickle’ function is called when a notebook is selected for display.

import wx

def init( self, parent):

bare_gui.MyFrame1.init( self, parent)

self.Create2DGraph(self.CT_graph_1, “Current / %”)#CT notebook

self.Create2DGraph(self.VT_graph_1, “Voltage/ %”)#VT notebook

self.Show(True)

panel.axes1.set_ylabel(‘Error / %’)

panel.axes2.set_ylabel(‘Phase / crad’)

panel.Fit()

panel.toolbar.Realize()

update the axes menu on the toolbar

panel.toolbar.update()

panel.ax.set_xlabel(‘Current / %’)

panel.ax.set_ylabel(‘Phase / degree’)

panel.ax.set_zlabel(‘Error / %’)

panel.Fit()

Hi Keith,

Josh

Hi Josh,

Regards,

Keith

Hi,

def tickle(self):
        self.Restore()
        self.Maximize()
    else:
        x,y = self.GetSize()
        self.SetSize((x-1, y-1))
        self.SetSize((x, y))

Regards,

Keith

To: matplotlib-users@…563…eforge.net

Hi all,

I initialize a wxcanvas object with a figure and then throughout the life of the program I want the canvas’ figure to change and display the corresponding plot. I can get the change of figure, but when the program goes to plot, the figure isn’t the right size. It changes to the right size only when I manually resize the figure (see attached images). Is there some command that I am missing? This is the update sequence I am using:

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.draw()
    self.color_background()

#self.Fit()
    self.SendSizeEvent()

Thanks!

Josh

Best,

-Tony

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this electronic transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender. This information may be legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the contents of this electronically transmitted information is strictly prohibited.

Thanks Josh this is much appreciated. I will definitely have a look at this approach.

Just for clarification, my code does only create the figures when the frame is initialised. The plots are then updated/cleared as required.

Regards,

Keith

···

Sent: Tuesday, 17 July 2012 12:12 a.m.

Yes, my apologies for being a bit vague. Hopefully the following can help you out, but I can’t make promises. It did fix the issue for me.

First off, from reading other threads about handling figures, it might be better to use matplotlib.pylab.figure instead of matplotlib.figure. Apparently the former registers
the figure with a manager which allows for better cleanup.

Second, it looks to me from your code as if you are creating a figure every time a new plot is created. Is this correct? Or are these functions just called on startup?
If you are creating a new figure each time for a plot, (which is what I was originally doing) you should redesign so you keep the same figure and then just update the subplots. Clear the figure and then add the appropriate subplots. Here is a segment from
my code:

figure.clear()

pos_counter = 1

for g in graph:

if title:

figure.canvas.draw()

plt is the pylab module from matplotlib and plot_nx is an internal call to networkx plotting capabiility (same as if you called the pyplot.plot). If you do use pylab,
make sure to include the plt.figure(figure.number) call as this seems to be a bug (or perhaps this just is with networkx integration).

This setup works for me rather well. I no longer have to manually resize anything.

I hope that helps. If not, I am at a loss for what would be a good way to proceed. I, probably like you, spent a long time trying to figure this one out and found this
to be the best solution. It might be good to go with the clunky mechanism since it works and wait until this is addressed later (if it is indeed a bug)

Regards,

Josh

Hi Josh,

I am not quite sure what information you need, but I have an application with several wx notebooks, each with pages carrying related
but different 2D and 3D plots. I hope this overview covers what you want. In the code below I set up the axes and toolbar in each panel ready to accept plots as required. I use wxFormbuilder to create MyFrame1 and then this code to add graphs and other
functionality. The ‘tickle’ function is called when a notebook is selected for display.

import wx

def __init__( self, parent):

bare_gui.MyFrame1.__init__( self, parent)

self.Create2DGraph(self.CT_graph_1, "Current / %")#CT notebook

self.Create2DGraph(self.VT_graph_1, "Voltage/ %")#VT notebook

self.Show(True)

panel.axes1.set_ylabel('Error / %')

panel.axes2.set_ylabel('Phase / crad')

panel.Fit()

panel.toolbar.Realize()

# update the axes menu on the toolbar

panel.toolbar.update()

panel.ax.set_xlabel('Current / %')

panel.ax.set_ylabel('Phase / degree')

panel.ax.set_zlabel('Error / %')

panel.Fit()

Koehler [jjkoehler9@…287…]

Hi Keith,

Josh

Hi Josh,

Regards,

Keith

Hi,

def tickle(self):

self.Restore()

self.Maximize()

else:

x,y = self.GetSize()

self.SetSize((x-1, y-1))

self.SetSize((x, y))

Regards,

Keith

Hi all,

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.draw()

self.color_background()

#self.Fit()

self.SendSizeEvent()

Thanks!

Josh

It doesn’t quite fit, though, because Josh’s original example shows a figure that’s the correct size (but the axes doesn’t fill the figure).
The toolbar issue tended to squish the axes in the vertical direction (at least in the GUI window), whereas Josh’s example is squished in the horizontal direction.

Keith: Are you also using the Wx-backend? I don’t have Wx installed so I can’t provide much help. I’ve been planning to take a look at a similar
issue in the Tk backend, but haven’t had time.

Best,

-Tony

Not a problem.

Hopefully it works for you. If you have tested it already would you mind posting what your results were? If you figured something else out as well that works for you I would also be appreciative if you posted your approach.

Regards,

Josh

···

On Jul 16, 2012, at 4:49 PM, Keith Jones wrote:

Thanks Josh this is much appreciated. I will definitely have a look at this approach.

Just for clarification, my code does only create the figures when the frame is initialised. The plots are then updated/cleared as required.

Regards,

Keith

Sent: Tuesday, 17 July 2012 12:12 a.m.

First off, from reading other threads about handling figures, it might be better to use matplotlib.pylab.figure instead of matplotlib.figure. Apparently the former registers
the figure with a manager which allows for better cleanup.

Second, it looks to me from your code as if you are creating a figure every time a new plot is created. Is this correct? Or are these functions just called on startup?
If you are creating a new figure each time for a plot, (which is what I was originally doing) you should redesign so you keep the same figure and then just update the subplots. Clear the figure and then add the appropriate subplots. Here is a segment from
my code:

figure.clear()
pos_counter = 1
for g in graph:
    if title:
figure.canvas.draw()

plt is the pylab module from matplotlib and plot_nx is an internal call to networkx plotting capabiility (same as if you called the pyplot.plot). If you do use pylab,
make sure to include the plt.figure(figure.number) call as this seems to be a bug (or perhaps this just is with networkx integration).

I hope that helps. If not, I am at a loss for what would be a good way to proceed. I, probably like you, spent a long time trying to figure this one out and found this
to be the best solution. It might be good to go with the clunky mechanism since it works and wait until this is addressed later (if it is indeed a bug)

Regards,

Josh

Hi Josh,

I am not quite sure what information you need, but I have an application with several wx notebooks, each with pages carrying related
but different 2D and 3D plots. I hope this overview covers what you want. In the code below I set up the axes and toolbar in each panel ready to accept plots as required. I use wxFormbuilder to create MyFrame1 and then this code to add graphs and other
functionality. The ‘tickle’ function is called when a notebook is selected for display.

import wx

def __init__( self, parent):
    bare_gui.MyFrame1.__init__( self, parent)

self.Create2DGraph(self.CT_graph_1, "Current / %")#CT notebook
    self.Create2DGraph(self.VT_graph_1, "Voltage/ %")#VT notebook

self.Show(True)
    panel.axes1.set_ylabel('Error / %')
    panel.axes2.set_ylabel('Phase / crad')
    panel.Fit()
    panel.toolbar.Realize()
    # update the axes menu on the toolbar
    panel.toolbar.update()
    panel.ax.set_xlabel('Current / %')
    panel.ax.set_ylabel('Phase / degree')
    panel.ax.set_zlabel('Error / %')
    panel.Fit()

Koehler [jjkoehler9@…287…]

Hi Keith,

Josh

Hi Josh,

Regards,

Keith

Hi,

def tickle(self):
        self.Restore()
        self.Maximize()
    else:
        x,y = self.GetSize()
        self.SetSize((x-1, y-1))
        self.SetSize((x, y))

Regards,

Keith

Hi all,

self.figure = figure

self.canvas.draw()

self.color_background()

#self.Fit()

self.SendSizeEvent()

Thanks!

Josh

It doesn’t quite fit, though, because Josh’s original example shows a figure that’s the correct size (but the axes doesn’t fill the figure).
The toolbar issue tended to squish the axes in the vertical direction (at least in the GUI window), whereas Josh’s example is squished in the horizontal direction.

Keith: Are you also using the Wx-backend? I don’t have Wx installed so I can’t provide much help. I’ve been planning to take a look at a similar
issue in the Tk backend, but haven’t had time.

Best,

-Tony