what version of wxpython to use???

hello, I am having some difficulty. I just upgraded to matplotlib 0.9, wxpython 2.7.2, and python 2.5. I have a wx application that uses matplotlib wxagg backend and wxpython for the GUI, it was working wonderfully unitl I upgraded now it crashes all the time and I can’t even debug it because python IDLE freezes up. should these versions all be working together ok? or should I use an earlier version of wxpython? thanks.

Jeff

···

The fish are biting.

Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing.

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Peery wrote:

hello, I am having some difficulty. I just upgraded to matplotlib 0.9, wxpython 2.7.2, and python 2.5. I have a wx application that uses matplotlib wxagg backend and wxpython for the GUI, it was working wonderfully unitl I upgraded now it crashes all the time and I can't even debug it because python IDLE freezes up. should these versions all be working together ok? or should I use an earlier version of wxpython? thanks.

Matplotlib 0.9 is still build against wxPython 2.6 and it is using the Unicode build of it.

But I am surprised that you see crashes. I did a little bit of testing with wxPython 2.8, Python 2.5 and matplotlib 0.9 using the examples for matplotlib and did not see hard crashes (see the thread on the 14th).

Do you get any log file, are you seeing the crash when your app is py2exe'd?

Aren't there some conflicts between IDLE and wxPython?

Werner

Jeff Peery wrote:

hello, I am having some difficulty. I just upgraded to matplotlib 0.9,
wxpython 2.7.2, and python 2.5.

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that the odd versions of wxWidgets and wxPython are development versions. You should consider moving to version 2.6, although 2.8 ought to work if you don't mind helping us work the kinks out.

Aren't there some conflicts between IDLE and wxPython?

I think there are if you try to run your wxPython application from within IDLE. IPython might be an alternative for interactive testing, etc.

Ken

···

On Feb 22, 2007, at 3:30 AM, Werner F. Bruhin wrote:

Hello, thanks for the input. now that I have Boa working (I got rid of teh stc-types.rc file) things seem to be runnign much more smoothly. So it works ok when I execute my wxApp from boa, but it acts strange then locks up when I run it from the IDLE???

I haven’t tried to py2exe yet.

Since I’m using matplotlib and wxpython, should I be using wxpython2.6? If so where can I get teh wxpython2.6 windows installer? I looked at sourceforge and the oldest version is 2.7.

thanks again for teh help!

Jeff

···

“Werner F. Bruhin” <werner.bruhin@…185…> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Peery wrote:

hello, I am having some difficulty. I just upgraded to matplotlib 0.9,
wxpython 2.7.2, and python
2.5. I have a wx application that uses
matplotlib wxagg backend and wxpython for the GUI, it was working
wonderfully unitl I upgraded now it crashes all the time and I can’t
even debug it because python IDLE freezes up. should these versions
all be working together ok? or should I use an earlier version of
wxpython? thanks.
Matplotlib 0.9 is still build against wxPython 2.6 and it is using the
Unicode build of it.

But I am surprised that you see crashes. I did a little bit of testing
with wxPython 2.8, Python 2.5 and matplotlib 0.9 using the examples for
matplotlib and did not see hard crashes (see the thread on the 14th).

Do you get any log file, are you seeing the crash when your app is py2exe’d?

Aren’t there some conflicts between IDLE and wxPython?

Werner

Bored stiff? Loosen up…
Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.

So it works ok when I execute my wxApp from boa, but it acts strange then locks up when I run it from the IDLE???

Yep. It's a result of the way programs like Boa and IDLE are written. In general, you can't mix and match GUI libraries (e.g. wxPython and Tkinter) without heroic measures.

Since I'm using matplotlib and wxpython, should I be using wxpython2.6? If so where can I get teh wxpython2.6 windows installer? I looked at sourceforge and the oldest version is 2.7.

Right now you'll probably be happiest using 2.6. You can download the win32 installer from Redirecting...

Hopefully the 0.91 release will include some improvements I'm working on, but haven't committed yet. At that point wxPython 2.8 will (hopefully) become the best choice for win32.

You are teh welcome!

Ken

···

On Feb 22, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Jeff Peery wrote:

ok… so sourceforge only has down to wxpython2.7… is there a link to earlier versions that I’m not seeing? thanks.

Jeff

···

Ken McIvor <mcivor@…612…> wrote:

On Feb 22, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Jeff Peery wrote:

So it works ok when I execute my wxApp from boa, but it acts
strange then locks up when I run it from the IDLE???

Yep. It’s a result of the way programs like Boa and IDLE are
written. In general, you can’t mix and match GUI libraries (e.g.
wxPython and Tkinter) without heroic measures.

Since I’m using matplotlib and wxpython, should I be using
wxpython2.6? If so where can I get teh wxpython2.6 windows
installer? I looked at sourceforge and the oldest version is 2.7.

Right now you’ll probably be happiest using 2.6. You can
download
the win32 installer from Redirecting...

Hopefully the 0.91 release will include some improvements I’m working
on, but haven’t committed yet. At that point wxPython 2.8 will
(hopefully) become the best choice for win32.

You are teh welcome!

Ken

Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.

Jeff Peery wrote:

ok.... so sourceforge only has down to wxpython2.7... is there a link to earlier versions that I'm not seeing? thanks.

You're right -- they are hard to find! This should do it, though:

http://www.wxpython.org/download-2.6.3.3.php

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

Hello, I’m using the rcParams to set the plot settings. It all works great! … except I haven’t been able to set the axes line color or the x tick line color. Is there something like:

Matplotlib.rcParams['xtick.linecolor] = ‘w’

Thanks,
Jeff

···

Now that’s room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels
in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
to find your fit.

Hello,

I apologize if this message was already posted, it was bounced back to me.

I am having some confusion about how best to set my plot settings. Should I use rcParams, or carry around my own class object holding plot() and scatter() settings? I have a wx app and I plot simple x y data. I manually add data values and each time I do my app clears then redraw the canvas. I’m using only plot() scatter() and axhline() in my app. My problem is that my code is a bit messy because I have my own class object that stores all the selected plot settings, ie colors, line widths, etc.

I discovered the rcParams and I thought this would really clean up my code a bit. So I could set the rcParams and not have to keep track of my plot() and scatter() settings because matplotlib already does. Several problems happened when I did this:

1. from what I read, I expected a rcParams value to keep if I closed my app then reopened it. But it went back to some
    default… maybe the matplotlibrc file? are these things separate?

2. when I changed the rcParams for my line style (for example) ALL line styles changed not just the lines in plot().

3. I didn’t see a rcParams object for the scatter() parameters, markers size, style, color, linewidth etc. Is this possible?

Am I using rcParams correctly? I want to take advantage of setting my plot() and scatter() settings by using matplotlib instead of having to reset them each time I draw().

Thanks!

Jeff

···

Get your own web address.
Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business.

hello, I’m tinkering with my matplotlibrc file and the changes are not taking effect. specifically I’m changing the hspace and wspace between subplots… although none other options seem to take effect either. I put the matplotlibrc file in my working directory with my script. I also tried making changes to the matplotlirc file in the installation directory, this didn’t work either. should pylab be looking in the working directory for matplotlibrc? If so, what might be a reason changes aren’t taking effect?

thanks,
Jeff

···

The fish are biting.

Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing.