Use AnchoredSizeBar to draw scale bar outside axes?

Hi all,

I’m trying to use AnchoredSizeBar to draw a scale bar just outside the axes, for readability and so it doesn’t overlap with data. Also to make it extra complicated I want to draw a vertical scale bar as well.

Here’s a screenshot from a collaborator’s figure just in case it’s not clear:

What I want is to add something like the “1 sec” and “5kHz” scale bars

They used Illustrator but I am determined to have my figures totally reproducible and do it all with matplotlib :smiling_imp:

I feel like it’s pretty common to want scale bars like this, at least in my field of neuro. I found one implementation that almost does what I want.

And others have raised issues on the matplotlib-scalebar repo asking about similar capability:

Looks like there’s a PR in progress (removed link since new users can only post 2 links, but it’s linked by GitHub on that issue)

But the main issue I’m having is getting the scale bar to plot outside the axes.
My naive solution would be to include a bbox_to_anchor argument but when I do that the scale bar just disappears.

Here’s a minimal reproducible example:

fig, ax = plt.subplots()
y = np.random.rand(1000)
x = np.arange(y.shape[0])

ax.plot(x, y)

scalebar = AnchoredSizeBar(ax.transData,
                           100, '100 ms', 'lower right', 
                           pad=0.1,
                           color='black',
                           # bbox_to_anchor=(0.9,-0.1),
                           frameon=False,
                           size_vertical=0.05)
ax.add_artist(scalebar);

gives me a plot with a scale bar (removed images since new users can only post one)

but uncommenting the bbox_to_anchor argument

fig, ax = plt.subplots()
y = np.random.rand(1000)
x = np.arange(y.shape[0])

ax.plot(x, y)

scalebar = AnchoredSizeBar(ax.transData,
                           100, '100 ms', 'lower right', 
                           pad=0.1,
                           color='black',
                           bbox_to_anchor=(0.9,-0.1),
                           frameon=False,
                           size_vertical=0.05)
ax.add_artist(scalebar);

gives me a plot with no scale bar

So my question is:
Will bbox_to_anchor work this way with AnchoredSizeBar or do I need to find some other solution?
Maybe the quick-and-dirty solution is just to add rectangles + text objects outside the axes?

Thank you!

Without digging into this I would check two things first:

• that bbox_to_anchor is actually doing what you want. You may need to pass an additional transfrom or it may be pushing the bar out of the figure all together.
  • set scalebar.set_clip_on(False) to make sure it is not getting clipped at the edge of the Axes.

Thank you for the quick reply @tacaswell!
I think I am able to make it work based on your point about adding an additional transform.

The scalebar instance I get from the snippet above does not have a bbox_transform attribute, but when I pass in bbox_transform=ax.transAxes then I do see the scale bar placed where I specify with bbox_transform.

I did also try calling scalebar.set_clip_on(False) but that did not have an effect.

Appreciate it!

You asked about moving it out, but the screen shot is in the center.

Did you get this fully or only half sorted?

It worked when placing outside the axes too, thank you for checking – I was just testing that bbox_to_anchor was actually working