unicode minus sign glyph missing with serif fonts in macosx backend

Hello. First, let me apologize if this has been covered---I tried to search the mailing list archives but was unable to get that to work (even queries that should have returned many hits were returning nothing).

When I plot with the MacOSX backend using a serif font, the negative signs on the axis labels show up as the "missing glyph" open squares rather than minus signs.

Things that work around the problem:
- disabling the unicode minus sign via axes.unicode_minus: False in the matplotlibrc file (though this obviously gives a hyphen instead of a true minus sign)
- switching to a sans-serif font
- switching to TkAgg or wxAgg backends
- using the text.usetex option

Things that don't work:
- switching to a different serif font (at least among Times, Times New Roman, and Bitstream Vera Serif)

I am using matplotlib 1.0 installed from the dmg file for Python 2.6 on OSX 10.6. I'm using Python 2.6.6 installed from the python.org binary distribution.

For now, I can work around using a sans-serif font or different backend instead, but I'd really like to use a serif font with the MacOSX backend. Please let me know if you need any other information. Your assistance would be most appreciated, thank you.

joey

Hello,

I have the same problem on MacOsX 10.4 and matplotlib 1.0, but also with
the default sans-serif font. I would guess that the default fonts
available with MacOSX do not have a glyph for the unicode character used
by matplotlib, but if you see it with different backends (i do not have
compiled them because i was to lazy to install the required libraries) I
suspect something is wrong with the macosx backend...

Cheers,

···

On 18/09/10 02:57, Joey Richards wrote:

When I plot with the MacOSX backend using a serif font, the negative
signs on the axis labels show up as the "missing glyph" open squares
rather than minus signs.

--
Daniele

FWIW, Bitstream Vera Serif (at least the one distributed with matplotlib) does have the minus sign (at codepoint U2212), so I don't think it's the fault of the font. I'm on Linux and don't have Apple's Times or Times New Roman, so I can't verify those.

This sounds like a bug in the Mac OS-X backend in how it's handling Unicode characters -- though that doesn't explain why the sans-serif font is working.

Do you have any customizations related to fonts in your matplotlibrc file?

Mike

···

On 09/17/2010 08:57 PM, Joey Richards wrote:

Hello. First, let me apologize if this has been covered---I tried to search the mailing list archives but was unable to get that to work (even queries that should have returned many hits were returning nothing).

When I plot with the MacOSX backend using a serif font, the negative signs on the axis labels show up as the "missing glyph" open squares rather than minus signs.

- disabling the unicode minus sign via axes.unicode_minus: False in the matplotlibrc file (though this obviously gives a hyphen instead of a true minus sign)

Things that don't work:
- switching to a different serif font (at least among Times, Times New Roman, and Bitstream Vera Serif)

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Space Telescope Science Institute
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

I've set the fonts to use (via font.serif, font.sans-serif, etc) and the font family (via font.family), and the size (via font.size), but commenting those out doesn't seem to help. The system-installed fonts all should have the minus sign, though I don't know for sure which fonts matplotlib is using.

joey

···

On Oct 4, 2010, at 6:54 AM, Michael Droettboom wrote:

On 09/17/2010 08:57 PM, Joey Richards wrote:

Things that don't work:

FWIW, Bitstream Vera Serif (at least the one distributed with
matplotlib) does have the minus sign (at codepoint U2212), so I don't
think it's the fault of the font. I'm on Linux and don't have Apple's
Times or Times New Roman, so I can't verify those.

This sounds like a bug in the Mac OS-X backend in how it's handling
Unicode characters -- though that doesn't explain why the sans-serif
font is working.

Do you have any customizations related to fonts in your matplotlibrc file?