strange numerix default issue

Hi,

When I don't use a matplotlibrc file, the default numerix choice is numpy,
which is OK.

When I have a matplotlibrc, and I specify "numerix : numpy", everything also
behaves as expected.

However, when I have a matplotlibrc, but one which does not contain
a 'numerix' statement, then my old version numeric gets picked up.

I assume this is a bug?

Peter

Peter Bienstman wrote:

Hi,

When I don't use a matplotlibrc file, the default numerix choice is numpy, which is OK.

I think that what is actually happening here is a system-wide matplotlibrc file is being found and is providing the numpy value.

When I have a matplotlibrc, and I specify "numerix : numpy", everything also behaves as expected.

However, when I have a matplotlibrc, but one which does not contain a 'numerix' statement, then my old version numeric gets picked up.

I assume this is a bug?

There are two issues here:

1) Only a single matplotlibrc file is read, and the search goes from nearest (current directory) to farthest (system-wide). So if a parameter is missing from the matplotlibrc file that is found, it is filled in from the hard-coded defaults, not from a more distant matplotlibrc file. This is simply the design, not a bug.

2) The hard-coded default (Numeric) is not the same as the matplotlibrc template default (numpy). I consider this a bug. It has become important now that matplotlibrc is being provided with almost everything commented out. I think we need to sweep through mpl and update the hard-coded defaults to match the values that were being provided via the matplotlibrc file, on the grounds that the latter were probably the result of experience, the former the result of initial guesses.

Eric