setting figure font to helvetica

hi,

i am trying to use the Helvetica font on matplotlib. i am using mac os x (so i definitely have helvetica installed) with version 0.98.5.2 of matplotlib. my code is:

from scipy import *
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use(‘PDF’)
from matplotlib import rc
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
rc(‘font’,**{‘family’:‘sans-serif’,‘sans-serif’:[‘Helvetica’]})
plt.rcParams[‘font.family’] = ‘Helvetica’
plt.hist(rand(100))
xlabel(r"My x axis $\alpha$")
ylabel(r"My y axis $\beta$")

i verified that plt.rcParams gets modified to use ‘Helvetica’ as the value for font.family, etc. but i still get the default font used in all of these figures. i tried using the PS backend using matplotlib.use(‘PS’) but the problem persists. i am interested in getting out PDFs that use helvetica everywhere.

does anyone know how to fix this? thank you.

I just wanted to add: if i simply set the font to Arial, using

rc(‘font’,**{‘family’:‘sans-serif’,‘sans-serif’:[‘Arial’]})

then it works. But the same call with Helvetica still defaults to that Bitstream/default font of matplotlib. any idea why this might be? could matplotlib be confusing helvetica with bitstream?

···

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM, per freem <perfreem@…1972…> wrote:

hi,

i am trying to use the Helvetica font on matplotlib. i am using mac os x (so i definitely have helvetica installed) with version 0.98.5.2 of matplotlib. my code is:

from scipy import *
import matplotlib

matplotlib.use(‘PDF’)

plt.hist(rand(100))
xlabel(r"My x axis \alpha“)
ylabel(r"My y axis \beta”)

i verified that plt.rcParams gets modified to use ‘Helvetica’ as the value for font.family, etc. but i still get the default font used in all of these figures. i tried using the PS backend using matplotlib.use(‘PS’) but the problem persists. i am interested in getting out PDFs that use helvetica everywhere.

Are you certain you have Helvetica installed as a TrueType font? If you don't, the only way to get the Postscript Helvetica is to set "ps.useafm" to True.

Cheers,
Mike

per freem wrote:

···

rc('font',**{'family':'sans-serif','sans-serif':['Arial']})

then it works. But the same call with Helvetica still defaults to that Bitstream/default font of matplotlib. any idea why this might be? could matplotlib be confusing helvetica with bitstream?

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM, per freem <perfreem@...287... > <mailto:perfreem@…287…>> wrote:

hi,

i am trying to use the Helvetica font on matplotlib. i am using
    mac os x (so i definitely have helvetica installed) with version
    0.98.5.2 of matplotlib. my code is:

from scipy import *
    import matplotlib
    matplotlib.use('PDF')
    rc('font',**{'family':'sans-serif','sans-serif':['Helvetica']})
    plt.hist(rand(100))
    xlabel(r"My x axis \\alpha")
    ylabel(r"My y axis \\beta")

i verified that plt.rcParams gets modified to use 'Helvetica' as
    the value for font.family, etc. but i still get the default font
    used in all of these figures. i tried using the PS backend using
    matplotlib.use('PS') but the problem persists. i am interested in
    getting out PDFs that use helvetica everywhere.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

hi all,

I am not sure if I have helvetica installed as a TTF – how can i install it if i don’t?

i followed the debug suggestion and here are the results. when i set the font to arial, using:

then the relevant output i get using --verbose-debug is:

matplotlib version 0.98.5.2
Using fontManager instance from /Users/perf/.matplotlib/fontList.cache
backend pdf version unknown
findfont: Matching :family=sans-serif:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=medium to Arial (/Library/Fonts/Arial.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXGeneral:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXGeneral (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXGeneral.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXNonUnicode:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=bold:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXNonUnicode (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXNonUniBol.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXGeneral:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=bold:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXGeneral (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXGeneralBol.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize3:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize3 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz3Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize4:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize4 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz4Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize5:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize5 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz5Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize1:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize1 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz1Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize2:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize2 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz2Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXGeneral:style=italic:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXGeneral (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXGeneralItalic.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXNonUnicode:style=italic:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXNonUnicode (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXNonUniIta.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXNonUnicode:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXNonUnicode (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXNonUni.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmb10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmb10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmb10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmtt10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmtt10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmtt10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmmi10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmmi10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmmi10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmex10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmex10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmex10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmsy10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmsy10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmsy10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmr10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmr10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmr10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmss10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmss10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmss10.ttf) with score of 0.000000

with the same line but this time setting the font to ‘Helvetica’, I get:

findfont: Could not match :family=sans-serif:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=medium. Returning /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/Vera.ttf
findfont: Matching :family=STIXGeneral:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXGeneral (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXGeneral.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXNonUnicode:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=bold:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXNonUnicode (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXNonUniBol.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXGeneral:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=bold:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXGeneral (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXGeneralBol.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize3:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize3 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz3Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize4:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize4 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz4Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize5:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize5 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz5Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize1:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize1 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz1Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXSize2:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXSize2 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXSiz2Sym.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXGeneral:style=italic:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXGeneral (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXGeneralItalic.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXNonUnicode:style=italic:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXNonUnicode (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXNonUniIta.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=STIXNonUnicode:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to STIXNonUnicode (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/STIXNonUni.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmb10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmb10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmb10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmtt10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmtt10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmtt10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmmi10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmmi10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmmi10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmex10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmex10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmex10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmsy10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmsy10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmsy10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmr10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmr10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmr10.ttf) with score of 0.000000
findfont: Matching :family=cmss10:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=12.0 to cmss10 (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/cmss10.ttf) with score of 0.000000

any idea what might be wrong here?

···

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…2662…> wrote:

Are you certain you have Helvetica installed as a TrueType font? If you don’t, the only way to get the Postscript Helvetica is to set “ps.useafm” to True.

Cheers,

Mike

per freem wrote:

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM, per freem <perfreem@…287… mailto:perfreem@...287...> wrote:

hi,

from scipy import *

import matplotlib

matplotlib.use('PDF')

plt.hist(rand(100))

Matplotlib-users mailing list

Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

Michael Droettboom

Science Software Branch

more information on this. if i try to use pdf.use14corefonts, like was suggested by Jouni, as follows:

from scipy import *
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use(‘PDF’)
rc(‘pdf’, use14corefonts=True)

then when i open the generated pdf in adobe illustrator i get the error: “The font “Helvetica-Narrow” contains a bad /BBox.” – then no labels are shown in the graph, only the nontextual elements.

···

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM, per freem <perfreem@…287…> wrote:

hi all,

I am not sure if I have helvetica installed as a TTF – how can i install it if i don’t?

i followed the debug suggestion and here are the results. when i set the font to arial, using:

then the relevant output i get using --verbose-debug is:

findfont: Matching :family=sans-serif:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=medium to Arial (/Library/Fonts/Arial.ttf) with score of 0.000000

with the same line but this time setting the font to ‘Helvetica’, I get:

findfont: Could not match :family=sans-serif:style=normal:variant=normal:weight=normal:stretch=normal:size=medium. Returning /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf/Vera.ttf

any idea what might be wrong here?

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…86…> wrote:

Are you certain you have Helvetica installed as a TrueType font? If you don’t, the only way to get the Postscript Helvetica is to set “ps.useafm” to True.

Cheers,

Mike

per freem wrote:

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM, per freem <perfreem@…287… mailto:perfreem@...287...> wrote:

hi,

from scipy import *

import matplotlib

matplotlib.use('PDF')

plt.hist(rand(100))

Matplotlib-users mailing list

Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

Michael Droettboom

Science Software Branch