seg fault installing

I’m using pip but even without it when I run setup.py build or setup.py install in the matplotlib directory I get a segfault early in the run. If I trace it, the seg fault is shortly after numbers.pyc is loaded from numpy, but even if I uninstall numpy I still get a segfault when I try to install mapplotlib. Only matplotlib has this issue. Other packages can uninstall and reinstall fine.

steve

pip install matplotlib

Downloading/unpacking matplotlib

Downloading matplotlib-1.4.0.tar.gz (51.2MB): 51.2MB downloaded

Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/matplotlib/setup.py) egg_info for package matplotlib

Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/d/distribute/distribute-0.6.28.tar.gz

Extracting in /tmp/tmp6VPGqi

Now working in /tmp/tmp6VPGqi/distribute-0.6.28

Building a Distribute egg in /tmp/pip_build_root/matplotlib

/tmp/pip_build_root/matplotlib/distribute-0.6.28-py2.7.egg

Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:

Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/d/distribute/distribute-0.6.28.tar.gz

Extracting in /tmp/tmp6VPGqi

Now working in /tmp/tmp6VPGqi/distribute-0.6.28

Building a Distribute egg in /tmp/pip_build_root/matplotlib

···

Cleaning up…

Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code -11 in /tmp/pip_build_root/matplotlib

Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log

tail -20 /root/.pip/pip.log

Cleaning up…

Removing temporary dir /tmp/pip_build_root…

Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code -11 in /tmp/pip_build_root/matplotlib

Exception information:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py”, line 122, in main

status = self.run(options, args)

File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py”, line 278, in run

requirement_set.prepare_files(finder, force_root_egg_info=self.bundle, bundle=self.bundle)

File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/req.py”, line 1229, in prepare_files

req_to_install.run_egg_info()

File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/req.py”, line 325, in run_egg_info

command_desc=‘python setup.py egg_info’)

File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/util.py”, line 697, in call_subprocess

% (command_desc, proc.returncode, cwd))

InstallationError: Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code -11 in /tmp/pip_build_root/matplotlib

I had installed these a couple of months ago successfully so I tried versions
from that timeframe (numby 1.3.1 and matplotlib 1.8.1) and that worked fine.

FWIW with the latest versions the crash was at line 1965 of datetime.c. The
meta variable was not a pointer. It was actually the value of the first
member of the meta variable passed in by the calling function. I'm using gcc

steve

···

--
View this message in context: http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/seg-fault-installing-tp44049p44050.html
Sent from the matplotlib - users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.