I finally got around to addressing this issue from October:
"David Krapohl" <david.krapohl@...287...> writes:
I am getting an error with savefig and pdf when I try to used
matplotlib with latex font rendering (attached below). In
etc/matplotlibrc, I set text.latex.preamble :
Jouni K. Sepp�nen <jks@...397...> writes:
However, the output seems to have some encoding problems. I will look
into the encoding issue, but cannot promise any particular time frame
for a solution.
I think I have fixed the encoding bug in revision 6707. While the only
user-visible change should be that some custom LaTeX fonts now work
(specifically, large fonts such as Minion Pro and MnSymbol that need
several different encodings), the changes in backend_pdf.py were big
enough that I'm hesitant to check this in on the maintenance branch.
Jouni K. Sepp�nen