Research Software Engineer (ROSES 2020) Position

Position

Matplotlib has been awarded a grant from the NASA under the ROSES 2020 OFSTL program!

The proposal includes two tasks:

• Library maintenance and community management;
  • Refactoring the internal data representation.

The grant will fund a full-time RSE to accomplish these tasks.

In this role you will work closely with the community and the currently supported Matplotlib Developers (Thomas Caswell, Elliott Sales de Andrade, and the to-be-identified Community Experience Lead) to implement all aspects of this grant.

This is a full-time remote position. You need to be able to legally work where you are living, some geographic restrictions may apply.

Compensation

This is a 36 month position at 49.26$/hr for the first year, 50.74$/hr for the second and 52.26$/hr for the third for 1,920 hrs/yr.

This position will be managed as an independent contractor to NumFOCUS.

Responsibilities

• Participate in the day-to-day operations and maintenance of Matplotlib
    • mentor new contributors
    • user support
    • bug review and fixes
    • code review
    • release management
  • Thoroughly document the current unit infrastructure
  • Participate in the design and documentation of a DataSource API
  • Lead the implementation of the DataSource API throughout the Matplotlib codebase
  • Keep the community informed about this refactor through documentation, written communication, and presentations.
  • Work with down-stream libraries to adopt the new DataSource

This is an engineering position and you will not be expected to publish science papers.

Qualifications

What we are looking for (required)

• Experience in developing tools for scientific computing in Python
  • ability to work as part of a team, as a team leader, or independently as needed
  • be comfortable working publicly
  • ability to read / write / speak English fluently
  • familiarity with git and github

nice to have

• Experience in contributing to open source
  • Experience designing and implementing library APIs used by others
  • Experience in software testing
  • Familiarity with structured data libraries such as pandas, xarray, or awkward
  • Experience in a field covered by the NASA Science Mission Directorate
  • Degree in physical sciences, computer science, math, or related fields or equivalent work experience.
  • Familiarity with C/C++

Submission

• 1 page cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this position
  • A Matplotlib figure you are particularly proud of (with code if possible)
    • ex: scientific paper figure, tutorial/blog post figure, game
    • be prepared to talk about this figure if interviewed
  • resume/CV

Please submit the above using here.

If you can not submit using the form, please reach out to Thomas Caswell (tcaswell@gmail.com) and we will try to accommodate you.

6 Likes

Hi @matplotlib team. I would like to know if there is any open position at the moment. Warm regards, Lucy

We are going to close the position on April 15, 2022.

1 Like

Hi Greetings from VINOD(from INDIA)

Is there any position available in INDIA (Bengaluru)…i am working in matplotlib in python…pls let me know and i am interested

Regards
VINOD

I have applied! (Well, ~6 hours ago) I think the form worked but I haven’t received a receipt yet, so fingers crossed. :slight_smile:

We have begun to review the applications and will be scheduling interviews soon.

If you applied, you should have received an email acknowledging that we received it.