question about imshow's support for masked arrays

I am experimenting with numpy masked arrays, and have a question about how imshow handles them:

from numpy import ma
from pylab import colorbar, imshow, show

a=ma.array([[1,2,3],[4,5,6]],mask=[[0,0,1],[0,0,0]], fill_value=0)
imshow(a, interpolation=‘nearest’)
colorbar()
show()

With svn matplotlib, the missing value is treated as if identical to the maximum value. I thought imshow would instead respect the masked array’s fill_value property by calling fix_invalid, and perhaps defaulting to the min() or max() if fill_value is the default 999999. What is the intended behavior?

Relatedly, it looks like imshow and other functions like contour are badly confused by NaNs, I thought they were supported?

Thanks,
Darren

Darren Dale wrote:

I am experimenting with numpy masked arrays, and have a question about how imshow handles them:

from numpy import ma

imshow(a, interpolation='nearest')
colorbar()
show()

With svn matplotlib, the missing value is treated as if identical to the maximum value. I thought imshow would instead respect the masked array's

I don't see this with my installation from svn.

fill_value property by calling fix_invalid, and perhaps defaulting to the min() or max() if fill_value is the default 999999. What is the intended behavior?

What I see with your example is a white square for the masked value; actually, it is transparent, with alpha = 0. This is the intended default; if it is masked, don't paint anything. It is set in Colormap.__init__ and can be overridden by Colormap.set_bad().

There is no intention to use the masked array fill value.

Relatedly, it looks like imshow and other functions like contour are badly confused by NaNs, I thought they were supported?

I suspect we really should run the Z inputs through masked_invalid, especially for contour. The performance hit is minimal as a fraction of the total time. I will do this for contour. imshow has to be handled more carefully, so I don't want to do it in a hurry.

One of the general cleanups needed in mpl is clarity and consistency in argument validation. Part of this is a matter of clarity about API levels; we don't want to have to do full validation and acceptance of all possible input variations at every level.

Eric

···

Thanks,
Darren

Darren Dale wrote:

from numpy import ma

imshow(a, interpolation=‘nearest’)

colorbar()

show()

With svn matplotlib, the missing value is treated as if identical to the maximum value. I thought imshow would instead respect the masked array’s

I don’t see this with my installation from svn.

fill_value property by calling fix_invalid, and perhaps defaulting to the min() or max() if fill_value is the default 999999. What is the intended behavior?

What I see with your example is a white square for the masked value; actually, it is transparent, with alpha = 0. This is the intended default; if it is masked, don’t paint anything. It is set in Colormap.init and can be overridden by Colormap.set_bad().

I was using a greyscale colormap that painted the max value white, and I confused no paint with max value. Personally, I think black would have been a better default, but no matter. Thank you for the clarification.

There is no intention to use the masked array fill value.

I suspect we really should run the Z inputs through masked_invalid, especially for contour. The performance hit is minimal as a fraction of the total time. I will do this for contour. imshow has to be handled more carefully, so I don’t want to do it in a hurry.

Ok.

Darren

···

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Eric Firing <efiring@…552…229…> wrote: