Problems y_label -> bar chart

Hi Folks!

I want to create a bar chart having 85 different Objects, each Object owning a certain name of four letters -- I followed the examples on the matplotlib examples page - so far so good.

I have some problems with the y_labeling because every objects name is overlaid by it' s neighbour and so a proper assignment is not possible. I tried to change the bar size, but that did not have any effect on the y_label.

Is it possible to display the object names vertical 1
                                                     y
                                                     k

instead of horizontal (1yk7) to obtain a better readable figure?
or maybe some of you have a better idea?

Florian Koelling wrote:

Hi Folks!

I want to create a bar chart having 85 different Objects, each Object owning a certain name of four letters -- I followed the examples on the matplotlib examples page - so far so good.

I have some problems with the y_labeling because every objects name is overlaid by it' s neighbour and so a proper assignment is not possible. I tried to change the bar size, but that did not have any effect on the y_label.

I think you are talking about labels for the bars, not tick labels or the y-axis label, correct?

Is it possible to display the object names vertical 1
                                                     y
                                                     k

instead of horizontal (1yk7) to obtain a better readable figure?
or maybe some of you have a better idea?

Yes, text objects can be rotated. In the barchart_demo.py example, you can add to the text command the keyword argument rotation='vertical' (or give a number for angle in degrees).

Eric