polar axes control

Hi,

I would like to be able to remove the dotted straight lines on the polar axes, but keep the dotted circular lines (not sure of the technical names, sorry). I also want to remove the degree measurement labels since they are not meaningful for the data that I am displaying.

How would I go about doing this?

Also, is there any reason why certain points would be behind (i.e. covered by) points that were plotted before them?

Thanks,

Miles

Miles Lubin wrote:

Hi,

I would like to be able to remove the dotted straight lines on the polar axes, but keep the dotted circular lines (not sure of the technical names, sorry). I also want to remove the degree measurement labels since they are not meaningful for the data that I am displaying.

How would I go about doing this?

polar(theta, r)
gca().set_thetagrids()

Also, is there any reason why certain points would be behind (i.e. covered by) points that were plotted before them?

If they are all the same kind of points--all markers, for example--then I would expect the rendering order to be the plot command order, because each plot command adds a line to a list of lines to be rendered. You can control the level using the zorder attribute.

lines = polar(theta, r, zorder=2.5)

or

lines = polar(theta, r, theta2, r2)
zo = lines[0].get_zorder()
lines[0].set_zorder(zo+0.1)

Eric

···

Thanks,

Miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Solved the problems, thanks.

Another issue has come up. After looking through http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.axes.html#PolarAxes, I see a get_rmax() function, but there is no corresponding set_rmax(). Using set_ylim() causes hanging when it attempts to graph, and set_xlim is currently unimplemented. Is there a simple way to set rmax?

Thanks,

Miles

···

Eric Firing wrote:

polar(theta, r)
gca().set_thetagrids()

If they are all the same kind of points--all markers, for example--then I would expect the rendering order to be the plot command order, because each plot command adds a line to a list of lines to be rendered. You can control the level using the zorder attribute.

or

Eric

Miles Lubin wrote:

Solved the problems, thanks.

Another issue has come up. After looking through http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.axes.html#PolarAxes, I see a get_rmax() function, but there is no corresponding set_rmax(). Using set_ylim() causes hanging when it attempts to graph, and set_xlim is currently unimplemented. Is there a simple way to set rmax?

I don't think so--at least, I have not figured it out after a few minutes of looking around and trying to understand how things work. I think polar plotting needs quite a bit of work. In particular, I suspect the lack of a "set_rmax" method is not an oversight but a consequence of limitations in the present implementation. I will look at it some more and see if I can improve it. This might be long-term, not quick.

Eric

···

Thanks,

Miles

Eric Firing wrote:

polar(theta, r)
gca().set_thetagrids()

or

Eric

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but a few months ago I suggested the
possibility to subclass Subplot. I have a small
function, 'add_generic_subplot', which just implements this possibility.
Would anybody be interested ? In that case, a Polarplot would just be a
particular subclass of Subplot. If there's some heavy cleaning to be done on
Polar, it might be worth to consider subclassing.
[I realize this was quite a useless post... Sorry again]

···

On Monday 25 December 2006 01:30, Eric Firing wrote:

I don't think so--at least, I have not figured it out after a few
minutes of looking around and trying to understand how things work. I
think polar plotting needs quite a bit of work.