os x backends

I've recently needed to use matplotlib remotely from a 'server' running OS X. The server does not have GTK on it, and the server's version of Tk is bound to Aqua instead of X11 and I therefore can't remotely spawn a matplotlib GUI window.

My question: Does anyone know of an *easy* way to get a backend running that will allow me to push windows through ssh X11 forwarding? I don't have administrative access on the server, so I'm trying to find the simplest solution possible for the administrator to implement--presumably this rules out GTK....

Thanks!
Matt

Matthew Auger wrote:

I've recently needed to use matplotlib remotely from a 'server' running OS X. The server does not have GTK on it, and the server's version of Tk is bound to Aqua instead of X11 and I therefore can't remotely spawn a matplotlib GUI window.

My question: Does anyone know of an *easy* way to get a backend running that will allow me to push windows through ssh X11 forwarding? I don't have administrative access on the server, so I'm trying to find the simplest solution possible for the administrator to implement--presumably this rules out GTK....

Thanks!
Matt

-

Matt: Depends on your definition of 'easy' ...

The fink matplotlib package uses GTKAgg as the default backend, and works fine over an ssh tunnel. The admin will have to:

0) make sure X11.app (and the X11 SDK) is installed.
1) install fink
2) run 'fink selfupdate'
3) run 'fink install matplotlib-py25' (and wait a few hours for everything to compile).

HTH,

-Jeff

···

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD R/PSD1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...259...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory

Same holds for MacPorts -- it has matplotlib in variants tk, gtk2, and wxPython.

I guess in your case you would need to convince yur Admin to install MacPorts, or install as a normal user, which might work -- that would then include gtk2 or wxWidgets as necessary.

Greetings,
Jochen

PGP.sig (186 Bytes)

···

On 31.05.2007, at 20:34, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

The fink matplotlib package uses GTKAgg as the default backend, and
works fine over an ssh tunnel. The admin will have to:

1) install fink
2) run 'fink selfupdate'
3) run 'fink install matplotlib-py25' (and wait a few hours for
everything to compile).

--
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit http://www.Jochen-Kuepper.de
     Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité GnuPG key: CC1B0B4D
         Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll

I think we want to keep matplotlib associated with the OS X Framework install of python; if we installed the macports version, am I correct in assuming that we could just dump the resulting python modules (eg. gtk, tkinter, and matplotlib) into the Framework install's site-packages dir (or more likely my own PYTHONPATH dir) and disregard the macports distro of python?

···

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Jochen K�pper wrote:

On 31.05.2007, at 20:34, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

The fink matplotlib package uses GTKAgg as the default backend, and
works fine over an ssh tunnel. The admin will have to:

1) install fink
2) run 'fink selfupdate'
3) run 'fink install matplotlib-py25' (and wait a few hours for
everything to compile).

Same holds for MacPorts -- it has matplotlib in variants tk, gtk2, and wxPython.

I guess in your case you would need to convince yur Admin to install MacPorts, or install as a normal user, which might work -- that would then include gtk2 or wxWidgets as necessary.

Greetings,
Jochen