My matplotlib To-Do List

I think I need a time out to consider my recent posts. This particular mod can wait while I get to other priority items into action again. So here's my list of thing to do when I come back to it.

Check out ipython more thoroughly.
Examine the backend concept
Read about the MPL interactive mode.
Look at the embedded app material in MPL.
Determine if a better interpreter tool than IDLE would satisfy the end users of the program I'm modifying. The hurdle is non-Python users who just fire up IDLE and execute the program via F5. That plus many are even reluctant to move from 2.4 to 2.5. New features could move that along.
Read the parts of the MPL Guide that I've culled out for my interests..
Attend a PUG meeting in the San Francisco Bay Area on the 25th.
Buy the (new) MPL book on Amazon if my local library can't get a loan of one of the two libraries in the US that has it.
Watch relevant videos from the 8th Annual Python in Science Conference

That should be enough, and should keep me busy when I expect to return to this in a few weeks. Thanks to the participants who responded to my posts.

···

--
"Crime is way down. War is declining. And that's far from the good news." -- Steven Pinker (and other sources) Why is this true, but yet the media says otherwise? The media knows very well how to manipulate us (see limbic, emotion, $$). -- WTW

Wayne Watson wrote:

So here's my list of thing to do when I come back to it.

good plan, one comment:

Determine if a better interpreter tool than IDLE would satisfy the end users of the program I'm modifying. The hurdle is non-Python users who just fire up IDLE and execute the program via F5.

This one is a no brainer -- IDLE is an Integrated Development Environment -- if you are not developing, you don't need it, t is NOT a tool to run simply run a python program. It's really not hard to run a python program.

Note that py2exe and friends might be the best solution -- these are tools that build a self-contained executable from a python program, so you end up with something to double click on, just like any other program.

I don't know about TkInter, but wxPython has an option where it will put up a message window to show the user standard output -- it sounds like you want the user to see messages, etc. Maybe TK has something similar.

Good luck,

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

Thanks. True enough. I've been exploring that possibility, and it is probably the way to go. When I get a little further down the line, I'll probably distribute it that way.

···

On 2/12/2010 9:35 AM, Christopher Barker wrote:

Wayne Watson wrote:

So here's my list of thing to do when I come back to it.

good plan, one comment:

Determine if a better interpreter tool than IDLE would satisfy the end
users of the program I'm modifying. The hurdle is non-Python users who
just fire up IDLE and execute the program via F5.

This one is a no brainer -- IDLE is an Integrated Development
Environment -- if you are not developing, you don't need it, t is NOT a
tool to run simply run a python program. It's really not hard to run a
python program.

Note that py2exe and friends might be the best solution -- these are
tools that build a self-contained executable from a python program, so
you end up with something to double click on, just like any other program.

I don't know about TkInter, but wxPython has an option where it will put
up a message window to show the user standard output -- it sounds like
you want the user to see messages, etc. Maybe TK has something similar.

Good luck,

-Chris

--
"Crime is way down. War is declining. And that's far from the good news." -- Steven Pinker (and other sources) Why is this true, but yet the media says otherwise? The media knows very well how to manipulate us (see limbic, emotion, $$). -- WTW