mplot3d update

Hi all,

I just updated mplot3d with some refactoring, more examples and the
start of documentation. Also semi-3D text is available again.

Please let me know what you think, perhaps mostly about the
user-facing API. It would be good to get that 'right' so that we don't
have to change it in the future.

Regards,

···

--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

Hi all,

I just updated mplot3d with some refactoring, more examples and the
start of documentation. Also semi-3D text is available again.

Great -- I made a minor change to special case atan2 with inputs 0,0,
which raises an error on my solaris box. I took a look at the
documentation commit -- I see the reference

  See :ref:`toolkit_mplot3d-index` for more documentation and examples.

in docs/users/toolkits.rst, but there is nothing in doc/mpl_toolkits.
Did you forget to svn add the file?

One other feature request that I think you could add w/o too much
difficulty is colormapping on the surface plots (eg inherit from
cm.ScalaraMappable. I did this in a local branch of the old axes3d
code which I might be able to dig up, but I think it should be pretty
forward to implement de novo.

Please let me know what you think, perhaps mostly about the
user-facing API. It would be good to get that 'right' so that we don't
have to change it in the future.

You may want to take a look at what other popular toolkits do:
gnuplot, matlab, vtk. These are time worn implementations so we could
benefit from seeing what they've done for the interface.

JDH

···

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Reinier Heeres<reinier@...707...> wrote:

I'd very much suggest having a look at Mayavi's mlab interface too.
When Gael and Prabhu worked on it, they took strong inspiration in
mpl.pylab, to try to 'keep the spirit' of MPL while implementing high
level 3d support in mayavi, at a time when it seemed that MPL would
not have its own 3d. Now that this is changing, I think it would be
great if API-wise, MPL and Mayavi.mlab were as compatible as is
reasonable. This would make code reuse across tools much easier.

Reinier, I'm sure if you ping Gael he'd be happy to share some
thoughts with you, he's very interested in code reusability (he may be
on this list for all I know, but I did CC him just to be safe).

Thanks a lot for mplot3d!

Cheers,

f

···

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:58 AM, John Hunter<jdh2358@...149...> wrote:

Please let me know what you think, perhaps mostly about the
user-facing API. It would be good to get that 'right' so that we don't
have to change it in the future.

You may want to take a look at what other popular toolkits do:
gnuplot, matlab, vtk. These are time worn implementations so we could
benefit from seeing what they've done for the interface.

I am around. :slight_smile:

Have a look at
http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/mlab.html
for an overview on the mlab API.
You might also be interested in
http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/auto/mlab_reference.html#module-enthought.mayavi.mlab
for the reference of all functions.

Indeed, it would be great if mayavi.mlab and the 3D plotting module of
matplotlib were drop-in replacements, with regards to the simple API. We
really designed mlab's API looking at matplotlib's API and used the
similar API where possible.

Gaël

···

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 10:30:09AM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:

Reinier, I'm sure if you ping Gael he'd be happy to share some
thoughts with you, he's very interested in code reusability (he may be
on this list for all I know, but I did CC him just to be safe).

Hi,

Could you please tell me how not to see the dashed line in the middle of 3d plotting scene? It’s also there on a saved png file as well.

Next, could it be possible to plot 3d box-whiskers plots via mplot3d interface?

Thanks…

I really appreciate your good work.

Gökhan

···

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@…707…> wrote:

Hi all,

I just updated mplot3d with some refactoring, more examples and the

start of documentation. Also semi-3D text is available again.

Please let me know what you think, perhaps mostly about the

user-facing API. It would be good to get that ‘right’ so that we don’t

have to change it in the future.

Regards,

Reinier Heeres

Bleijenburg 64

2511 VD Den Haag

The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639


OpenSolaris 2009.06 is a cutting edge operating system for enterprises

looking to deploy the next generation of Solaris that includes the latest

innovations from Sun and the OpenSource community. Download a copy and

enjoy capabilities such as Networking, Storage and Virtualization.

Go to: http://p.sf.net/sfu/opensolaris-get


Matplotlib-devel mailing list

Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

Hi,

I'm not sure what line you are referring to; do you mean the grid
lines? If not, please provide an image.

At the moment these lines can't be turned off, but it sounds like a
good plan to override the grid() function for that.

Regards,
Reinier

···

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever@...149...> wrote:

Hi,

Could you please tell me how not to see the dashed line in the middle of 3d
plotting scene? It's also there on a saved png file as well.

Next, could it be possible to plot 3d box-whiskers plots via mplot3d
interface?

Thanks...

I really appreciate your good work.

Gökhan

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@...707...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just updated mplot3d with some refactoring, more examples and the
start of documentation. Also semi-3D text is available again.

Please let me know what you think, perhaps mostly about the
user-facing API. It would be good to get that 'right' so that we don't
have to change it in the future.

Regards,
--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OpenSolaris 2009.06 is a cutting edge operating system for enterprises
looking to deploy the next generation of Solaris that includes the latest
innovations from Sun and the OpenSource community. Download a copy and
enjoy capabilities such as Networking, Storage and Virtualization.
Go to: http://p.sf.net/sfu/opensolaris-get
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

Hello,

Please see the uploaded image: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3909/dashedline.png

There is dashed line in the middle of the figure coming from the top of the plot. I didn’t mean grid lines, however would be nice to add a functionality like pylot’s x-yticks commands, ahh we also need zticks for your case :slight_smile:

gs

···

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@…707…> wrote:

Hi,

I’m not sure what line you are referring to; do you mean the grid

lines? If not, please provide an image.

At the moment these lines can’t be turned off, but it sounds like a

good plan to override the grid() function for that.

Regards,

Reinier

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever@…149…> wrote:

Hi,

Could you please tell me how not to see the dashed line in the middle of 3d

plotting scene? It’s also there on a saved png file as well.

Next, could it be possible to plot 3d box-whiskers plots via mplot3d

interface?

Thanks…

I really appreciate your good work.

Gökhan

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@…707…> wrote:

Hi all,

I just updated mplot3d with some refactoring, more examples and the

start of documentation. Also semi-3D text is available again.

Please let me know what you think, perhaps mostly about the

user-facing API. It would be good to get that ‘right’ so that we don’t

have to change it in the future.

Regards,

Reinier Heeres

Bleijenburg 64

2511 VD Den Haag

The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639


OpenSolaris 2009.06 is a cutting edge operating system for enterprises

looking to deploy the next generation of Solaris that includes the latest

innovations from Sun and the OpenSource community. Download a copy and

enjoy capabilities such as Networking, Storage and Virtualization.

Go to: http://p.sf.net/sfu/opensolaris-get


Matplotlib-devel mailing list

Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

Reinier Heeres

Bleijenburg 64

2511 VD Den Haag

The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

Hi,

Could you post the code that resulted in this image? I don't see the
dashed line here if I use the example. If it is the example, do you
perhaps have some extra settings in your rc file(s)?

Regards,
Reinier

···

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever@...149...> wrote:

Hello,

Please see the uploaded image:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3909/dashedline.png

There is dashed line in the middle of the figure coming from the top of the
plot. I didn't mean grid lines, however would be nice to add a functionality
like pylot's x-yticks commands, ahh we also need zticks for your case :slight_smile:

gs

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@...707...> wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure what line you are referring to; do you mean the grid
lines? If not, please provide an image.

At the moment these lines can't be turned off, but it sounds like a
good plan to override the grid() function for that.

Regards,
Reinier

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever@...149...> >> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please tell me how not to see the dashed line in the middle of
> 3d
> plotting scene? It's also there on a saved png file as well.
>
> Next, could it be possible to plot 3d box-whiskers plots via mplot3d
> interface?
>
> Thanks...
>
> I really appreciate your good work.
>
> Gökhan
>
>
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@...707...> >> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just updated mplot3d with some refactoring, more examples and the
>> start of documentation. Also semi-3D text is available again.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think, perhaps mostly about the
>> user-facing API. It would be good to get that 'right' so that we don't
>> have to change it in the future.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Reinier Heeres
>> Bleijenburg 64
>> 2511 VD Den Haag
>> The Netherlands
>>
>> Tel: +31 6 10852639
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> OpenSolaris 2009.06 is a cutting edge operating system for enterprises
>> looking to deploy the next generation of Solaris that includes the
>> latest
>> innovations from Sun and the OpenSource community. Download a copy and
>> enjoy capabilities such as Networking, Storage and Virtualization.
>> Go to: http://p.sf.net/sfu/opensolaris-get
>> _______________________________________________
>> Matplotlib-devel mailing list
>> Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel
>
>

--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

Hi there,

<snip>

One other feature request that I think you could add w/o too much
difficulty is colormapping on the surface plots (eg inherit from
cm.ScalaraMappable. I did this in a local branch of the old axes3d
code which I might be able to dig up, but I think it should be pretty
forward to implement de novo.

Added, and I also improved the contour plotting code, which was slightly broken!

Bug reports are welcome.

Regards,

···

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 2:58 PM, John Hunter<jdh2358@...149...> wrote:
--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

Hi,

I just fixed this issue and implemented setting/unsetting of the grid.
I also added a parameter axes3d.grid to matplotlibrc, which defaults
to True. Is that ok?

Cheers,
Reinier

···

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever@...149...> wrote:

Hello,

Please see the uploaded image:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3909/dashedline.png

There is dashed line in the middle of the figure coming from the top of the
plot. I didn't mean grid lines, however would be nice to add a functionality
like pylot's x-yticks commands, ahh we also need zticks for your case :slight_smile:

gs

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@...707...> wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure what line you are referring to; do you mean the grid
lines? If not, please provide an image.

At the moment these lines can't be turned off, but it sounds like a
good plan to override the grid() function for that.

Regards,
Reinier

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever@...149...> >> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please tell me how not to see the dashed line in the middle of
> 3d
> plotting scene? It's also there on a saved png file as well.
>
> Next, could it be possible to plot 3d box-whiskers plots via mplot3d
> interface?
>
> Thanks...
>
> I really appreciate your good work.
>
> Gökhan
>
>
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@...707...> >> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just updated mplot3d with some refactoring, more examples and the
>> start of documentation. Also semi-3D text is available again.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think, perhaps mostly about the
>> user-facing API. It would be good to get that 'right' so that we don't
>> have to change it in the future.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Reinier Heeres
>> Bleijenburg 64
>> 2511 VD Den Haag
>> The Netherlands
>>
>> Tel: +31 6 10852639
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> OpenSolaris 2009.06 is a cutting edge operating system for enterprises
>> looking to deploy the next generation of Solaris that includes the
>> latest
>> innovations from Sun and the OpenSource community. Download a copy and
>> enjoy capabilities such as Networking, Storage and Virtualization.
>> Go to: http://p.sf.net/sfu/opensolaris-get
>> _______________________________________________
>> Matplotlib-devel mailing list
>> Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel
>
>

--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

Ok, that strange line doesn’t show anymore. Thanks for the fix.

axes3d.grid works well from matplotlibrc file.

Could you tell me how to import axes3d module from within Ipython?

I get the following error when I try: (Seems to me something needs to be updated?)

In [3]: from matplotlib import axes3d

···

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@…707…> wrote:

Hi,

I just fixed this issue and implemented setting/unsetting of the grid.

I also added a parameter axes3d.grid to matplotlibrc, which defaults

to True. Is that ok?

Cheers,

Reinier


NotImplementedError Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/gsever/Desktop/python-repo/matplotlib/examples/mplot3d/text3d_demo.py in ()
----> 1
2
3
4
5

/home/gsever/Desktop/python-repo/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/axes3d.py in ()

----> 1
2
3 raise NotImplementedError(‘axes3d is not supported in matplotlib-0.98. You may want to try the 0.91.x maintenance branch’)
4
5

NotImplementedError: axes3d is not supported in matplotlib-0.98. You may want to try the 0.91.x maintenance branch

gs

from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d import axes3d

Ryan

···

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Gökhan SEVER <gokhansever@…149…> wrote:

Could you tell me how to import axes3d module from within Ipython?


Ryan May

Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

John,

Shall I update this file and change the error to say something like
"mplot3d is now available as a toolkit, use import
mpl_toolkits.mplot3d"?

The other option would be to just do a "from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d.axes3d".

Regards,
Reinier

···

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever@...149...> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier@...707...> wrote:

Hi,

I just fixed this issue and implemented setting/unsetting of the grid.
I also added a parameter axes3d.grid to matplotlibrc, which defaults
to True. Is that ok?

Cheers,
Reinier

Ok, that strange line doesn't show anymore. Thanks for the fix.

axes3d.grid works well from matplotlibrc file.

Could you tell me how to import axes3d module from within Ipython?

I get the following error when I try: (Seems to me something needs to be
updated?)

In [3]: from matplotlib import axes3d
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NotImplementedError Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/gsever/Desktop/python-repo/matplotlib/examples/mplot3d/text3d_demo.py
in <module>()
----> 1
2
3
4
5

/home/gsever/Desktop/python-repo/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/axes3d.py in
<module>()
----> 1
2
3 raise NotImplementedError('axes3d is not supported in
matplotlib-0.98. You may want to try the 0.91.x maintenance branch')
4
5

NotImplementedError: axes3d is not supported in matplotlib-0.98. You may
want to try the 0.91.x maintenance branch

gs

--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

I prefer the first option.

JDH

···

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Reinier Heeres<reinier@...707...> wrote:

John,

Shall I update this file and change the error to say something like
"mplot3d is now available as a toolkit, use import
mpl_toolkits.mplot3d"?

The other option would be to just do a "from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d.axes3d".

Actually, I prefer removing axes3d from the matplotlib dir directly.
After the release, I will make sure it gets plenty of visibility in
the announcement and in the news box on the website main page.
Between that and the gallery, people will be able to find it.

So please just go ahead and remove lib/matplotlib/axes3d.py

JDH

···

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM, John Hunter<jdh2358@...149...> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Reinier Heeres<reinier@...707...> wrote:

John,

Shall I update this file and change the error to say something like
"mplot3d is now available as a toolkit, use import
mpl_toolkits.mplot3d"?

The other option would be to just do a "from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d.axes3d".

I prefer the first option.

Sounds good as well, so I just removed it.

Cheers,
Reinier

···

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM, John Hunter<jdh2358@...149...> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM, John Hunter<jdh2358@...149...> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Reinier Heeres<reinier@...707...> wrote:

John,

Shall I update this file and change the error to say something like
"mplot3d is now available as a toolkit, use import
mpl_toolkits.mplot3d"?

The other option would be to just do a "from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d.axes3d".

I prefer the first option.

Actually, I prefer removing axes3d from the matplotlib dir directly.
After the release, I will make sure it gets plenty of visibility in
the announcement and in the news box on the website main page.
Between that and the gallery, people will be able to find it.

So please just go ahead and remove lib/matplotlib/axes3d.py

JDH

--
Reinier Heeres
Bleijenburg 64
2511 VD Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639