Minor irritations installing on Mac OSX

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've been able to do any work on Matplotlib - prompted (in part) by the demise of my trusty Debian box and its replacement by a Mac.

It took me a while to get a working Matplotlib installation, so I thought it may be worth documenting how I did it. Note that I have not bothered to install Gtk, so John will have to help with that one.

Mac OSX comes with a very nice (and fairly recent) native install of Python, so I elected to use that one.

First problem: no Numeric.
MacPython has some nice OXS 10.3 addons at:
http://ftp.cwi.nl/jack/python/mac/MacPython-Panther-2.3-2.dmg.

You probably want to use the package manager to install Numeric. Don't forget to install the source (or, if lazy, install the binaries, and copy arrayobject.h, f2c.h, ranlib.h and ufuncobject.h to System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/include/python2.3/Numeric

Next problem: no libpng.
Simple solution is to install libpng3 via Fink. The Matplotlib installer knows where to look for Fink packages, so no editing needed.

Incidentally, two minor updates to the CVS version of backend_wx:

* Toolbar now displays correctly on Mac OSX (MAC doesn't like having toolbar controls in a sizer, but wants to see them in a managed toolbar. Side effect of this is that the toolbar is at the top of the frame on OSX.

* Wx should now terminate the mainloop correctly when the last frame is closed.

Regards

Jeremy