first time user, first time installer...
Is there a howto for matplotlib installation on redhat 7.3/as2.1 & as3.0?
I'm trying to install matplotlib on these platforms and am running into a seemingly endless list of dependancies for python2.2, numarray:
just on the 7.3 side,
- freetype >= 2.1.7 is needed, but rh has 2.0.9-2.
- pygtk >= 1.99.16 needed, rh has 1.99.8-7.
- pygtk 2.2.0 needs glib >= 2.2.0, redhat has 1.2.10-5,
- pygtk 1.99.16 compiles, but I get error "ImportError: /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 undefinded symbol: FT_Seek_Stream", which I haven't tracked down just yet...
- the line "inf = infty = Infinity = _ieee.inf" in na_imports.py fails to find 'inf' in '_ieee', but commenting it out works fine.
- While the install webpage says I only need freetype,libpng,zlib to compile, I get runtime complaints on import of matplotlib.matlab * (running simple_plot.py) about missing image libraries if I don't turn the BUILD_IMAGE flag on.
This is all way too difficult me as I'm not looking forward to upgrading so many packages across our production machines...am I missing something obvious? Perhaps an older version of matplotlib known to work on this redhat? I'm just using it for simple time-series plots, real-time and to some file (png, gif, ps, pdf...).
thanks in advance for any help,