We are pleased to announce the release of Matplotlib 3.8.0.
Pre-built wheels are available for most major platforms, and can be
installed using `pip install matplotlib==3.8.0`. Other packages may
also be available already; please check with your preferred source.
This release introduces provisional support for type hints of most
public APIs. Please test typing support with downstream projects.
The 3.8.0 release represents the work of 146 authors over 640 pull requests, and we thank them for their contributions.
For further details, please see the release notes:
and the milestone on GitHub:
Highlights of this release include:
- Type hints for most public APIs
- Many improvements to Mathtext
- Addition of ``\boldsymbol`` command
- Additional sizable delimiters
- Documentation improvements
- ``\substack`` command
- ``\middle`` delimitier
- ``\mathbfit`` for bold italic text
- 3D plotting improvements
- Specify tick/axis label positions
- Improved text for coordinates in interactive sessions
- Ability to share view angles
- New plotting method ``ecdf`` (empirical cumulative distribution function)
For packagers, this release contains some changes to dependencies:
* python>=3.9 is now required.
* kiwisolver>=1.3.1 is now required.
* Pillow>= 8.0 is now required.
* Support for Qt<5.12 has been dropped.
* NumPy 1.21 is now required.
* Tk>=8.5 is now required if Tk is provided.
This release tag is signed by my GPG key. The fingerprint is:
EB83 2218 7FD4 5119 2E43 0A72 79B3 FEC4 56F1 2599
and it is also used to sign this message.
Note that PyPI no longer supports GPG signing of uploaded files, so the
sdist is no longer signed.