Mathtext doesn't work on the PS backend

I'm a new user of matlibplot, and have difficulties in making mathtext to work with the PS backend. Instead of the math symbols, the raw TeX expression is displayed. Mathtext works fine on the GUI backends and on raster images output, though.

The following quote from matplotlib web page made suggests that mathtext should work for PS output:
"mathtext now embeds the TrueType computer modern fonts into the PS file, so what you see on the screen should be what you get on paper"
Did I misunderstood?

I am on debian unstable and initially tried Vittorio's packages. Thinking that this could be the problem, I resolved to install matplotlib from sources, but the result is the same.
I did check that BUILD_FT2FONT=1 is set.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Serge

Serge Barral wrote:

I'm a new user of matlibplot, and have difficulties in making mathtext to work with the PS backend. Instead of the math symbols, the raw TeX expression is displayed. Mathtext works fine on the GUI backends and on raster images output, though.

The following quote from matplotlib web page made suggests that mathtext should work for PS output:
"mathtext now embeds the TrueType computer modern fonts into the PS file, so what you see on the screen should be what you get on paper"
Did I misunderstood?

What version of matplotlib are you using? Versions earlier than 0.60.2 may not work.

I just uploaded improved TrueType Font (TTF) support for PS last night, so the version on CVS should fix this. Please give it a try and let me know if you have any problems.

I am on debian unstable and initially tried Vittorio's packages. Thinking that this could be the problem, I resolved to install matplotlib from sources, but the result is the same.
I did check that BUILD_FT2FONT=1 is set.

-- Paul

ยทยทยท

--
Paul Barrett, PhD Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475 ESS/Science Software Branch
FAX: 410-338-4767 Baltimore, MD 21218

Paul Barrett wrote:

What version of matplotlib are you using? Versions earlier than 0.60.2
may not work.

Sorry, I should have mentionned that: it was the latest version, 0.60.2

I just uploaded improved TrueType Font (TTF) support for PS last night,
so the version on CVS should fix this. Please give it a try and let me
know if you have any problems.

The CVS version works perfectly, thank you very much! ...and congratulations for fixing the problem before it even got reported :slight_smile:

Serge