Marching Squares Algorithm

Curtis: attached is a copy of the license agreement required for use of the Marching Cubes/VTK algorithms and related software. Once this agreement has been executed and GE has received the requisite payments, your license will be automatic. Thanks.

Carl B. Horton
GE Healthcare
Chief IP Counsel

P: 262 513-4022
F: 414 918-1641
C: 262 385-7315
D: *320-4022
E: Carl.Horton@...155...

www.gehealthcare.com

Marching Cubes License 2004-10-24.doc (54 KB)

···

-----Original Message-----
From: Curtis Cooper [mailto:curtis@…152…]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:42 PM
To: Horton, Carl (GE Healthcare)
Cc: Matplotlib Developers
Subject: Marching Squares Algorithm

Dear Mr. Horton:

I am investigating options for creating 2D contour plots for the freely
distributable Matplotlib package (http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/).
The Matplotlib license requires all the software to be free for
noncommercial and commercial distribution.

I had the idea to try to implement marching squares for this package. We
know the marching cubes algorithm is patented, but what about the 2D
marching squares? Can my implementation be used in this freely
distributed package without obtaining a license grant?

Thanks,
Curtis

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    * Curtis S. Cooper, Graduate Research Assistant *
   * Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, University of Arizona *
   * http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~curtis/ *
   * Kuiper Space Sciences, Rm. 318 *
    * 1629 E. University Blvd., *
     * Tucson, AZ 85721 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      * Wk: (520) 621-1471 *
       * * * * * * * * * * * *

Rather than drawing the conclusion that Carl can't read English or that he
thinks we're going to start a fundraiser to raise the $10000, I think we
can guess that marching squares is probably NOT covered by the patent, but
that seeing a big dollar number and his title should scare us off testing
the patent. Presumably there are alternatives to marching squares and I'd
pursue them, unless you feel like poking Carl with another stick :slight_smile:

Gary R

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

···

On 26/10/2004 at 12:59 Horton, Carl (GE Healthcare) wrote:

Curtis: attached is a copy of the license agreement required for use of
the Marching Cubes/VTK algorithms and related software. Once this
agreement has been executed and GE has received the requisite payments,
your license will be automatic. Thanks.

> Carl B. Horton
> GE Healthcare
> Chief IP Counsel
>
> P: 262 513-4022
> F: 414 918-1641
> C: 262 385-7315
> D: *320-4022
> E: Carl.Horton@...155...
www.gehealthcare.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Curtis Cooper [mailto:curtis@…152…]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:42 PM
To: Horton, Carl (GE Healthcare)
Cc: Matplotlib Developers
Subject: Marching Squares Algorithm

Dear Mr. Horton:

I am investigating options for creating 2D contour plots for the freely
distributable Matplotlib package (http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/).
The Matplotlib license requires all the software to be free for
noncommercial and commercial distribution.

I had the idea to try to implement marching squares for this package. We
know the marching cubes algorithm is patented, but what about the 2D
marching squares? Can my implementation be used in this freely
distributed package without obtaining a license grant?

Thanks,
Curtis

------------------------------------
Gary Ruben gruben@...1...
<http://users.bigpond.net.au/gazzar>

I'd suggest seeing how VTK handles this. I believe they have a patented
and a non-patented contour filter (vtkContourFilter and
vtkMarchingContourFilter). The VTK package has a python interface. The
goals page mentions on embedding VTK for future 3d functionality. Could
VTK be embedded to leverage some of the other good work they've done?

Greg

···

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 21:07, gary ruben wrote:

Rather than drawing the conclusion that Carl can't read English or that he
thinks we're going to start a fundraiser to raise the $10000, I think we
can guess that marching squares is probably NOT covered by the patent, but
that seeing a big dollar number and his title should scare us off testing
the patent. Presumably there are alternatives to marching squares and I'd
pursue them, unless you feel like poking Carl with another stick :slight_smile:

Gary R

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 26/10/2004 at 12:59 Horton, Carl (GE Healthcare) wrote:

> Curtis: attached is a copy of the license agreement required for use of
> the Marching Cubes/VTK algorithms and related software. Once this
> agreement has been executed and GE has received the requisite payments,
> your license will be automatic. Thanks.
>
>
>
>
> > Carl B. Horton
> > GE Healthcare
> > Chief IP Counsel
> >
> > P: 262 513-4022
> > F: 414 918-1641
> > C: 262 385-7315
> > D: *320-4022
> > E: Carl.Horton@…155…
> www.gehealthcare.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Curtis Cooper [mailto:curtis@…152…]
> Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:42 PM
> To: Horton, Carl (GE Healthcare)
> Cc: Matplotlib Developers
> Subject: Marching Squares Algorithm
>
>
> Dear Mr. Horton:
>
> I am investigating options for creating 2D contour plots for the freely
> distributable Matplotlib package (http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/).
> The Matplotlib license requires all the software to be free for
> noncommercial and commercial distribution.
>
> I had the idea to try to implement marching squares for this package. We
> know the marching cubes algorithm is patented, but what about the 2D
> marching squares? Can my implementation be used in this freely
> distributed package without obtaining a license grant?
>
> Thanks,
> Curtis

------------------------------------
Gary Ruben gruben@...1...
<http://users.bigpond.net.au/gazzar>

-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Sybase ASE Linux Express Edition - download now for FREE
LinuxWorld Reader's Choice Award Winner for best database on Linux.
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=5588&alloc_id=12065&op=click
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

--
Greg Whittier <greg@...166...>

A quick google reveals this guy's contouring code:
<http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2vrva/>
which I found via this:
<http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/contour.asp>
Given that he has some C source code on his site, perhaps Mr Aramini would
be happy to allow its use into matplotlib. He certainly looks like a happy
fellow :slight_smile:

Gary R.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

···

On 28/11/2004 at 06:34 Greg Whittier wrote:

I'd suggest seeing how VTK handles this. I believe they have a patented
and a non-patented contour filter (vtkContourFilter and
vtkMarchingContourFilter). The VTK package has a python interface. The
goals page mentions on embedding VTK for future 3d functionality. Could
VTK be embedded to leverage some of the other good work they've done?

Greg

<snip>
------------------------------------
Gary Ruben gruben@...1...
<http://users.bigpond.net.au/gazzar>

Some more possible contour generating code links:

http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/
http://www.triplexware.huckfinn.de/geogfix.html
http://www.triplexware.huckfinn.de/contweber.html
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/conrec/

These weren't too hard to find. There are probably more out there to be
found.
Gary R.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

A quick google reveals this guy's contouring code:
<http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2vrva/>
which I found via this:
<http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/contour.asp>
Given that he has some C source code on his site, perhaps Mr Aramini

would

be happy to allow its use into matplotlib. He certainly looks like a

happy

···

On 28/10/2004 at 23:41 gary ruben wrote:

fellow :slight_smile:

Gary R.

------------------------------------
Gary Ruben gruben@...1...
<http://users.bigpond.net.au/gazzar>