Mac OS X 10.6 dmg install

I'm updating my python install but am running into problems with matplotlib, as always. This time around I'd thought I'd use the .dmg installer. I've already installed Python 2.6.5 from python.org and numpy from scipy.org. Both of these work. I noticed the matplotlib installer wants to install to /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages, even though the appropriate location for the python.org install is in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages. As a result, when I run python 2.6.5 from python.org, it doesn't matplotlib.

Two questions: Is there a good reason for this? And what's the workaround. Thanks.

Tim

To clarify, I've taken screen shots of the 0.99.3 and 0.99.1.1 dmg installers. If you look in the bottom pane of the window, you will see the install location which you cannot change. The 0.99.1.1 installer places files in the appropriate location for python.org 2.6.5. The 0.99.3 installer places files in the appropriate location for the OS X bundled version of python (2.6.1) that we have been warned not to use.

<http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/100367/1/matplotlib?h=49e1ff&gt;

···

On Jun 24, 2010 at 04:52 PM -0400, Tim Gray wrote:

I'm updating my python install but am running into problems with matplotlib,
as always. This time around I'd thought I'd use the .dmg installer. I've
already installed Python 2.6.5 from python.org and numpy from scipy.org.
Both of these work. I noticed the matplotlib installer wants to install to
/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages, even though the appropriate location for
the python.org install is in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages.
As a result, when I run python 2.6.5 from python.org, it doesn't matplotlib.

Tim Gray wrote:

The 0.99.1.1 installer places files in the appropriate location for python.org 2.6.5. The 0.99.3 installer places files in the appropriate location for the OS X bundled version of python (2.6.1) that we have been warned not to use.

Well, it's not the worst thing in the world to use Apple's python, but I still don't think that it's the best either:
   - The Apple python has never been updated
   - Anything built for it will only work on 10.6
   - you can't use py2app and get a fully self-contained binary
   - I can't remember the others.

Anyway, it's been common practice to build binaries for the python.org python -- it's the way to reach the widest audience. MPL used to do this. I suspect the latest binary is a mistake, but if not, it should be Clearly labeled as for the ApplePython2.6-osx-10.6, and ideally, a python.org compatible binary provided as well. I'm sorry I can't find the time to do that myself right now.

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

I'll be ok for the time being. I've been using matplotlib, scipy, and numpy (and variants) for the past 5 years or so on OS X. Every time I go to upgrade, the recommended procedure changes. The previous version still runs however, so I'll survive.

It would be useful though to make a note for whoever packages official releases of matplotlib for OS X to make sure they are targeting the python.org install of python. numpy and scipy also do this. It makes it a lot easier to push python as a Matlab/IDL replacement if potential users can just download four dmgs (python, numpy, scipy, and matplotlib) and it all just works out of the box.

Thanks for the help!

Tim

···

On Jun 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:

Anyway, it's been common practice to build binaries for the python.org python -- it's the way to reach the widest audience. MPL used to do this. I suspect the latest binary is a mistake, but if not, it should be Clearly labeled as for the ApplePython2.6-osx-10.6, and ideally, a python.org compatible binary provided as well. I'm sorry I can't find the time to do that myself right now.