installing matplotlib

Two questions:
1) I'm trying to upgrade an installation of matplotlib I have on a RHEL5 system. When trying:

/usr/local/bin/python setup.py build

I get the error message:
"gcc: src/ft2font.cpp: C++ compiler not installed on this system
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1"

I do in fact have a C++ compiler on the system, in the form of g++. Is there a place where I can configure the C++ compiler to use?

2) So that I don't have to bother the list with things like this, how can I _search_ the mailing list for keywords? If I go here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=matplotlib-users

I don't see any way to search the archives, other than manually paging through them.

Michael Hearne wrote:

2) So that I don't have to bother the list with things like this, how can I _search_ the mailing list for keywords?

I usually search mailing lists through gmane.org, for this particular list the link is:

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.matplotlib.general

JLS

Michael Hearne wrote:

Two questions:
1) I'm trying to upgrade an installation of matplotlib I have on a RHEL5 system. When trying:

I get the error message:

I do in fact have a C++ compiler on the system, in the form of g++. Is there a place where I can configure the C++ compiler to use?

distutils will use the CXX environment variable if it is set. Though you should be able to compile C++ with gcc as well, if the C++ backend is installed -- that's why the error message is surprising to me if you're certain you have g++ installed. Can you compile a simple C++ file with gcc directly from the commandline?

Cheers,
Mike

···

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

I can't using gcc, but I can using g++, which is installed. I guess I'll just set the CXX variable to the path for g++.

I don't know enough about gcc to understand why the two aren't linked together...

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Michael Droettboom wrote:

···

Michael Hearne wrote:

Two questions:

I get the error message:

distutils will use the CXX environment variable if it is set. Though you should be able to compile C++ with gcc as well, if the C++ backend is installed -- that's why the error message is surprising to me if you're certain you have g++ installed. Can you compile a simple C++ file with gcc directly from the commandline?

Cheers,
Mike

I tried setting CXX=/usr/bin/g++ in my .bashrc, but I still get the same error. Is there some file in the matplotlib distribution that I need to edit with this information?

--Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

···

I can't using gcc, but I can using g++, which is installed. I guess I'll just set the CXX variable to the path for g++.

I don't know enough about gcc to understand why the two aren't linked together...

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

Two questions:

I get the error message:

Cheers,
Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apps built with the Adobe(R) Flex(R) framework and Flex Builder(TM) are
powering Web 2.0 with engaging, cross-platform capabilities. Quickly and
easily build your RIAs with Flex Builder, the Eclipse(TM)based development
software that enables intelligent coding and step-through debugging.
Download the free 60 day trial. http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-adobe-com

Hmm... the selection of the compiler command is actually deep within distutils -- matplotlib doesn't address it. I'm surprised the CXX environment variable isn't getting picked up. I use that all the time to test different compilers.

Did you try:

export CXX=/usr/bin/g++
python setup.py build

If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss -- you could start investigating on distutils and/or gcc lists.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

···

I tried setting CXX=/usr/bin/g++ in my .bashrc, but I still get the same error. Is there some file in the matplotlib distribution that I need to edit with this information?

--Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

Two questions:

I get the error message:

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

Trying your suggestion did not work. However, doing this:

export CPP=/usr/bin/g++
python setup.py build

did work. Go figure.

--Mike

···

Hmm... the selection of the compiler command is actually deep within distutils -- matplotlib doesn't address it. I'm surprised the CXX environment variable isn't getting picked up. I use that all the time to test different compilers.

Did you try:

export CXX=/usr/bin/g++
python setup.py build

If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss -- you could start investigating on distutils and/or gcc lists.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

--Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

Two questions:

I get the error message:

Cheers,
Mike