installing matplotlib 0.99 for pyhton 2.6 mac osx 10.5

Farhan Sheikh wrote:

when i installed python 2.6, i installed it into the /usr/local/lib folder

maybe I wasn't clear -- the MPL installer it meant to be used with the binary from python.org. You want use the installer you get here:

python -c "import sys; print sys.path"

the results i got were:

['', '/usr/local/lib/python26.zip', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/plat-darwin', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/plat-mac', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/lib-tk', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/lib-old', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages']

it seems like everything was downloaded to the correct directory.

for a unix-style install into /usr/local. yes. But it is not the kind of install that the MPL binary is expecting.

There are WAY TOO MANY ways to install python on OS-X, but the "standard" way is the one used by the installers found on python.org: It is called a "Framework Build", and is the "Mac" way to do things.

People have their reasons for doing it other ways, but package distributors can only support so much, so the python.org way is the one generally supported.

You can build MPL for your install it you want, it should be easy, except for the dependencies -- I'm not sure what those are anymore, but a little reading of the docs should tell you.

Oh, and you'll end up having to build every other extension, too - wxPython, QT, PIL, ???

Without good reason, I'd just go with the python,org build.

-Chris

ยทยทยท

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...