Installation Problems on Mac OS X

Okay, I tried the .zip installer and get the following error when trying to import:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in <module>
     from matplotlib.pylab import *
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 220, in <module>
     new_figure_manager, draw_if_interactive, show = pylab_setup()
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/__init__.py", line 23, in pylab_setup
     globals(),locals(),[backend_name])
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_wxagg.py", line 19, in <module>
     import wx
ImportError: No module named wx

Seems to me that I need to either change some setting on the backend that is being used, or I need some additional package to make the install work. Can some one point me in the right direction here?

Oh, and I tried downloading the .egg file to install, but for some reason my Mac wants to open the file with Excel, which is obviously wrong. How exactly do you use a .egg file as a binary installer?

···

--

R. Padraic Springuel
Teaching Assistant
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Maine
Bennett 309
Office Hours: Wednesday 2-3pm

R. Padraic Springuel wrote:

Oh, and I tried downloading the .egg file to install, but for some reason my Mac wants to open the file with Excel, which is obviously wrong. How exactly do you use a .egg file as a binary installer?

Install easy_install:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

then type:

easy_install whatever.egg

on the command line.

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

NOAA/OR&R/HAZMAT (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax