Here are my old instructions (I deleted them when I started using Apple's libraries, but the wayback machine saves the day):
Thanks Russell -- this is helpful. A few comments:
• If you plan to redistribute matplotlib, delete (or temporarily move) the dynamic library so matplotlib statically links to libpng:
% sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libpng*.dylib
I've found that passing --disable-shared works to prevent the dylibs
from being built at all. At least with libpng.
• To check if a library is universal, run "file" on it, e.g.:
% file /usr/local/lib/libpng*.a
this doesn't work for me on *.a files -- though it does on dylibs
• Before building, you may wish to modify include/freetype/configure/ftoption.h to enable hinting:
• uncomment: #define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER
• perhaps comment out: #define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_UNPATENTED_HINTING
handy to know.
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Russell Owen <rowen@...748...> wrote:
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception