Google summer of Code 2009

Is matplotlib planning on applying to be a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code? If so, may I suggest that an html5/canvas backend (with interactive features) would be a fantastic project that would benefit a wide range of people?

Thanks,

Jason

We could probably supervise a student who was interested in this. We haven’t brought it up for 2009, though we did mentor a student several years ago. Do you have someone in mind who would be interested in this?

JDH

···

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:41 PM, <jason-sage@…2489…> wrote:

Is matplotlib planning on applying to be a mentoring organization for

Google Summer of Code? If so, may I suggest that an html5/canvas

backend (with interactive features) would be a fantastic project that

would benefit a wide range of people?

John Hunter wrote:

    Is matplotlib planning on applying to be a mentoring organization for
    Google Summer of Code? If so, may I suggest that an html5/canvas
    backend (with interactive features) would be a fantastic project that
    would benefit a wide range of people?

We could probably supervise a student who was interested in this. We haven't brought it up for 2009, though we did mentor a student several years ago. Do you have someone in mind who would be interested in this?

JDH

I don't have a particular student in mind, but the idea was brought up on the sage development list. There, it seems like there may be several people interested (thought I don't know if they are qualifying students). I'm CCing this to the sage-devel list as well. If you are a student who would like to contribute to matplotlib and get paid for it, speak up so that we know there is interest!

I bring this up since I believe that the deadline for a mentoring organization to apply is this Friday (13 Mar). See http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs#org_apply

I wouldn't be qualified to mentor this (time-wise or experience-with-matplotlib-wise), but I am certainly cheering it on!

Thanks,

Jason

···

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:41 PM, <jason-sage@…2130… > <mailto:jason-sage@…2130…>> wrote:

Don't wait for an interested student to register -- if you have a couple people that have the time and inclination to mentor -- apply, students will come, and if no good ones do, you don't have to do it.

I recommend it -- mentoring is fun and rewarding, and you can get some good work done.

Maybe a SciPY application would make sense, and then we could accept proposals for numpy, MPL, SAGE, etc...

-Chris

···

jason-sage@...2130... wrote:

John Hunter wrote:

We could probably supervise a student who was interested in this. We haven't brought it up for 2009, though we did mentor a student several years ago. Do you have someone in mind who would be interested in this?

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

I think that's a great project idea -- nice and contained with an obvious goal. I'd be happy to help out with that, as I probably know as much about the new backend interfaces as anyone.

I am also willing to mentor the project I volunteered for last year (the student dropped out in the eleventh hour). That was to extract the math expression rendering engine out as a separate project. It's hairier than it sounds, because it requires separating out the freetype wrappers as well, and parts of all the backends. But this is something the Sympy and Sage folks were very interested in last year as well.

Cheers,
Mike

···

jason-sage@...2130... wrote:

Is matplotlib planning on applying to be a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code? If so, may I suggest that an html5/canvas backend (with interactive features) would be a fantastic project that would benefit a wide range of people?

Thanks,

Jason

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users
  
--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

That was to extract the math expression rendering engine out as a
separate project. It's hairier than it sounds, because it requires
separating out the freetype wrappers as well, and parts of all the
backends. But this is something the Sympy and Sage folks were very
interested in last year as well.

Yes please. This would be extremely useful, not just for sympy and
sage.

Cheers,
Kasper

That’s great Michael – can you take the lead to get us registered by the March 13th deadline? I’m able to spend some time helping mentor as well.

JDH

···

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…120…86…> wrote:

I think that’s a great project idea – nice and contained with an

obvious goal. I’d be happy to help out with that, as I probably know as

much about the new backend interfaces as anyone.

I am also willing to mentor the project I volunteered for last year (the

student dropped out in the eleventh hour). That was to extract the math

expression rendering engine out as a separate project. It’s hairier

than it sounds, because it requires separating out the freetype wrappers

as well, and parts of all the backends. But this is something the Sympy

and Sage folks were very interested in last year as well.

I have added these proposals to the PSF's GSoC 2009 wiki page here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2009

Feel free to add more ideas there.

The PSF will do the work of applying to Google -- we can encourage prospective students and mentors to apply through the PSF.

Cheers,
Mike

John Hunter wrote:

···

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…86… > <mailto:mdroe@…86…>> wrote:

    I think that's a great project idea -- nice and contained with an
    obvious goal. I'd be happy to help out with that, as I probably
    know as
    much about the new backend interfaces as anyone.

    I am also willing to mentor the project I volunteered for last
    year (the
    student dropped out in the eleventh hour). That was to extract
    the math
    expression rendering engine out as a separate project. It's hairier
    than it sounds, because it requires separating out the freetype
    wrappers
    as well, and parts of all the backends. But this is something the
    Sympy
    and Sage folks were very interested in last year as well.

That's great Michael -- can you take the lead to get us registered by the March 13th deadline? I'm able to spend some time helping mentor as well.

JDH

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

Michael Droettboom wrote:

The PSF will do the work of applying to Google -- we can encourage prospective students and mentors to apply through the PSF.

hmmm -- I wonder if that is best -- it would put MPL projects in competition with all other python projects.

My first thought is that a SciPy application would be best -- with SciPy, numpy, MPL, Sage, Cython, etc, it's plenty big, but would have a bit more focus.

As an example, wxPython has been a mentoring organization for the last few years.

Not that I'm volunteering to put together the application....

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

I spoke with the SoC coordinator about this last year and was told
they would prefer us to stay under the PSF umbrella. This year they
plan to sponsor fewer mentoring organizations, I believe (so less
chance we would get accepted). Finally, the deadline for submitting
an application to be a mentoring organization is Friday (March 13) at
12 noon PDT:
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html#0_1_mentoring_orgs_52990812492_14255507054617844

···

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker@...259...> wrote:

hmmm -- I wonder if that is best -- it would put MPL projects in
competition with all other python projects.

My first thought is that a SciPy application would be best -- with
SciPy, numpy, MPL, Sage, Cython, etc, it's plenty big, but would have a
bit more focus.

Christopher Barker wrote:

Michael Droettboom wrote:
  

The PSF will do the work of applying to Google -- we can encourage prospective students and mentors to apply through the PSF.
    
hmmm -- I wonder if that is best -- it would put MPL projects in competition with all other python projects.

My first thought is that a SciPy application would be best -- with SciPy, numpy, MPL, Sage, Cython, etc, it's plenty big, but would have a bit more focus.

As an example, wxPython has been a mentoring organization for the last few years.

Not that I'm volunteering to put together the application....
  

There's the kicker -- I believe (and I haven't been heavily involved in this, so correct me if I'm wrong) the due date for applications is this Friday. I don't have time to do that either. MPL tagged along with the PSF last year and it worked great (very low administrative overhead for us mentors), until it fell through for unrelated reasons.

Cheers,
Mike

···

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA