Detailed instructions for compiling matplotlib on Windows XP

Hello all,

I finally, after much pain and anguish, succeeded at compiling MPL with GTKAgg on windows and I thought people might be interested to know how I managed it. Of course, your mileage may vary…

1. Install Python (I used the Python (x,y) distribution of 2.6: http://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/wiki/Downloads
  2. Install the GTK bits and pieces. For some reason using the newest ones causes some problems with paths. I can confirm that this set works on at least two computers:

Glade3.6.7withGTK+.exe (Install this to c:\GTK so that MPL build can find it without playing with paths)
pygtk-2.12.1-3.win32-py2.6.exe

pycairo-1.4.12-2.win32-py2.6.exe
pygobject-2.14.2-2.win32-py2.6.exe

1. Install libpng and freetype using the installers (also includes the zlib dll). They will default to install to c:\Program Files\GnuWin32 . This is fine, but note the location.
  2. Either checkout the MPL source from subversion, or download a tarball and unpack it
  3. Download the win32_static files, and unpack them to the place where your MPL source is, you should then have a folder in the MPL source folder called win32_static
  4. Open the file setupext.py in the MPL source folder
  5. Edit line 51 (or so) to read:: ‘win32’ : [‘win32_static’,‘c:\Program Files\GnuWin32’]
  6. Install Visual Studio 2008 Express if you do not have a version of Visual Studio 2008 on your computer
  7. Open a console and type:: python setup.py build --compiler=msvc bdist_wininst
  8. Wait for it to finish, then:: python setup.py install to install MPL
  9. If everything worked right, you should be able to open a python shell and type

import matplotlib
matplotlib.use(‘GTKAgg’)
import pylab
pylab.plot(0,4,‘s’)
pylab.show()

1. And you should see a GTK rendered plot window with a small square in the center hopefully
    Improvements to this procedure would be greatly appreciated - but this finally seems to work…

Regards,
Ian

···

Ian Bell
Graduate Research Assistant
Herrick Labs
Purdue University
email: ibell@…901…

cell: (607)227-7626