Basemap - ImportError: libgeos_c.so.1

I just tried to install basemap 0.9.8 but when I run simpletest.py from the examples directory I get:

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/toolkits/basemap/basemap.py", line 31, in <module>
   import _geos, pupynere
ImportError: libgeos_c.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I had installed the geos stuff to /usr/local following the instructions in the basemap README, and with export GEOS_DIR=/usr/local) and the above file seemed to install fine - it is found in my /usr/local/lib directory. I've tried running python with and without another explicit export GEOS_DIR statement. Same problem both ways.

I'm running matplotlib 0.90.1 from Ubuntu Gutsy.

Dave

David Simpson wrote:

I just tried to install basemap 0.9.8 but when I run simpletest.py from the examples directory I get:

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/toolkits/basemap/basemap.py", line 31, in <module>
   import _geos, pupynere
ImportError: libgeos_c.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I had installed the geos stuff to /usr/local following the instructions in the basemap README, and with export GEOS_DIR=/usr/local) and the above file seemed to install fine - it is found in my /usr/local/lib directory. I've tried running python with and without another explicit export GEOS_DIR statement. Same problem both ways.

Dave

Dave: Perhaps you need to add /usr/local to LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

-Jeff

···

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC R/PSD1 FAX : (303)497-6449
325 Broadway Boulder, CO, USA 80305-3328

Hi Jeff,

I just added it, but get the same error. Any other variables I need to set?

Thanks,

Dave

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

···

David Simpson wrote:

import _geos, pupynere

Dave

-Jeff

--
----------------------------- Dr. David Simpson
Assoc. Prof.
EMEP MSC-W

Affiliation: Norwegian Meteorological Inst.

Location: Dept. Radio and Space Science (RSS), Chalmers University of Technology, H�rsalsvg. 11, SE-412 96, Gothenburg,Sweden

Tel: +46 (0) 703 305 691 (work-mobile)
Tel: +46 (0) 31 772 1588 Fax: +46 (0) 31 772 1884
email: david.simpson@...1527...

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

It would be /usr/local/lib, not /usr/local

···

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco