Y axis scaling bug

I found a bug in the Y-axis scaling. See the attached PS file. The Y-axis scale should go from 0. to 2.0e-11 (in ergs/cm**2/s/Angstrom). Instead it is zeros. Anyone having experience with the scaling code want to fix this?

For those interested, this is a section of the far ultraviolet spectrum of the variable star SS Cygni (SS Cyg for short) taken by NASA's Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer (FUSE for short).

-- Paul

C05302010011alif4ttagfcal.ps (376 KB)

···

--
Paul Barrett, PhD Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475 ESS/Science Software Branch
FAX: 410-338-4767 Baltimore, MD 21218

Paul Barrett wrote:

I found a bug in the Y-axis scaling. See the attached PS file. The Y-axis scale should go from 0. to 2.0e-11 (in ergs/cm**2/s/Angstrom). Instead it is zeros. Anyone having experience with the scaling code want to fix this?

For those interested, this is a section of the far ultraviolet spectrum of the variable star SS Cygni (SS Cyg for short) taken by NASA's Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer (FUSE for short).

Well, I actually tried to see it but gv (Fedora Core 2) chokes on the file: CPU utilization goes to 100% after displaying the axes, labels, and a tiny bit of the graph. I killed it after a while.

Are there known problems with the Postscript generated by matplotlib? Can it produce EPS directly (better for publication)?

Cheers,

f

Fernando Perez wrote:

Paul Barrett wrote:

Well, I actually tried to see it but gv (Fedora Core 2) chokes on the file: CPU utilization goes to 100% after displaying the axes, labels, and a tiny bit of the graph. I killed it after a while.

Are there known problems with the Postscript generated by matplotlib? Can it produce EPS directly (better for publication)?

OK, I've created a patch to work around the 'gv' problem for dense line plots. Attached is a PS file created from this patch. Please test to see if it solves your problem. If it does, I'll commit the patch to CVS. It worked for me on 'ggv'.

-- Paul

ss_cyg_temp.ps (377 KB)

···

--
Paul Barrett, PhD Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475 ESS/Science Software Branch
FAX: 410-338-4767 Baltimore, MD 21218

Paul Barrett wrote:

OK, I've created a patch to work around the 'gv' problem for dense line plots. Attached is a PS file created from this patch. Please test to see if it solves your problem. If it does, I'll commit the patch to CVS. It worked for me on 'ggv'.

Works OK now with gv on Fedora Core 2.

Thanks,

f