wide release

Vittorio, would you like to build the debian package before I

    >> do the release, so it will be ready for debian users when I
    >> send the announcement? If so, how much advance notice do you
    >> need? If I sent you a snapshot Monday would you be ready by
    >> Tuesday?

    > Sorry, I can work on this release only next Friday...

In light of this and the pending figure image and/or font stuff, I
decided to hold off and do this release next week. Perry, if you want
to check in your figure image stuff by Thursday, that leaves enough
time to run it through the test suite before I make the sdist for
Vittorio and Todd late Thursday. They can do their respective builds
and I'll send out an announcement next Monday.