which basemap with matpotlib 0.91.2

I'm trying to build an application on a newly installed Ubuntu. I've used apt-get to install scipy and matplotlib.

numpy version: 1.0.4
scipy version: 0.6
matplotlib version: 0.91.2

What version of basemap is safe to download and build with this configuration? Doing "apt-cache search basemap" yields no results, so I assume there isn't an Ubuntu package for that.

And if someone tells me I need to compile a newer scipy (and it's #$%^&! dependencies) from source, I'll scream.

Thanks,

Mike

···

--
------------------------------------------------------
Michael Hearne
mhearne@...924...
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.

Michael Hearne wrote:

I'm trying to build an application on a newly installed Ubuntu. I've used apt-get to install scipy and matplotlib.

What version of basemap is safe to download and build with this configuration? Doing "apt-cache search basemap" yields no results, so I assume there isn't an Ubuntu package for that.

And if someone tells me I need to compile a newer scipy (and it's #$%^&! dependencies) from source, I'll scream.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike: Basemap's now only supported for matplotlib > 0.98. For that you need numpy 1.1 (you don't need scipy at all).

-Jeff

···

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD R/PSD1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...259...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-113
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory

Jeff - Well, that's the problem - I _do_ need scipy! Not for basemap, but for the rest of my application. Does your sourceforge repository have older copies of the basemap code?

My complaint about scipy has to do with the fact that I spent a good week trying to get scipy's dependencies to install on two Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems: I punted both of them over to an outside contractor, who was able to compile scipy on one system, but not the other. And he specializes in that kind of stuff.

--Mike

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

···

Michael Hearne wrote:

Thanks,

Mike

Mike: Basemap's now only supported for matplotlib > 0.98. For that you need numpy 1.1 (you don't need scipy at all).
-Jeff

--
Michael Hearne
mhearne@...924...
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.

Michael Hearne wrote:

Jeff - Well, that's the problem - I _do_ need scipy! Not for basemap, but for the rest of my application. Does your sourceforge repository have older copies of the basemap code?

Mike: OK, but I don't think upgrading numpy/maplotlib requires you to update scipy.

The SF site does have older copies of basemap, but beware - I'm not backporting bugfixes.

-Jeff

···

My complaint about scipy has to do with the fact that I spent a good week trying to get scipy's dependencies to install on two Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems: I punted both of them over to an outside contractor, who was able to compile scipy on one system, but not the other. And he specializes in that kind of stuff.

--Mike

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Michael Hearne wrote:

Thanks,

Mike

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD R/PSD1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...259...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-113
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory