use of enthought Python for matplotlib/numpy

I noticed on your Web Lab website that you suggest to download the Enthouhht edition. Although I suggest that to my students for class as well, we are currently running into some problems as the latest Enthought edition still includes an old numpy (version less than 1.0). Some important changes were made just before the 1.0 release, so please be aware of that.

Now that we are on the topic, does anybody have good enough connections with Enthought to convince them to update the distribution? I can toss-in a box of donuts if that would help,

Mark

Hi,

I noticed on your Web Lab website that you suggest to download the Enthouhht edition. Although I suggest that to my students for class as well, we are currently running into some problems as the latest Enthought edition still includes an old numpy (version less than 1.0). Some important changes were made just before the 1.0 release, so please be aware of that.

Now that we are on the topic, does anybody have good enough connections with Enthought to convince them to update the distribution? I can toss-in a box of donuts if that would help,

I believe they are working on it, but they're shifting their approach to easily install the individual packages of the distribution individually/together/whatever by using eggs. It's good for the long term, but I guess unfortunate for people looking for the newest/easiest install in the interim.

Still, though, I think I've heard people still having some success by just installing the latest enthought edition. After that, you can pull down numpy/scipy/matplotlib from svn and install each over the old version in enthought.

Lastly, Stef Mientki has apparently whipped up a "Portable SciPy" that is meant to be a one-click installer on windows if doing the above is unsatisfactory. Here's his announcement from the SciPy mailing list.

"""
Portable SciPy, is an easy installer of SciPy for M$ windows users.

For this moment, you can find the description page, with all links here

http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pic/jalcc/python/portable_scipy.html

For future use, it's advised to always use my redirector page
   http://pic.flappie.nl/

The simple method described here,
can be used to create any set of Python packages + other programs,
with just a few lines of code (example available).

have fun,
and let me hear what you think of it.
""""

Lastly, I can't really vouch for any of these things since I don't use Windows, hopefully they work easily enough.

-steve

I would add one box of donuts, since I'm trying to make my own distribution with numpy/scipy/matplotlib but with no success.
and the problem is the same is for a classroom :wink: If anyone knows also a portable distribution with this package I will add extra donuts :wink:

Giorgio Luciano wrote:

I would add one box of donuts, since I'm trying to make my own
distribution with numpy/scipy/matplotlib but with no success.
and the problem is the same is for a classroom :wink: If anyone knows also a
portable distribution with this package I will add extra donuts :wink:

While we at Enthought are not updating the all-in-one installer anymore, we are
distributing up-to-date binaries as eggs.

http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/

ยทยทยท

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco