Updating documentation

Hello all,

I have a free day today, so I am going through some of the documentation and giving it a good polish. I came across one particular part that is sorely outdated:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/howto_faq.html#use-show

This is in regards to the show() function and tells users that it can only be used once in a script. By and large, this is no longer true, but I want to make sure that I don’t give bad information here. Is there someplace else in the docs where this information is current that I can use for revising this section?

Thanks,
Ben Root

Hello all,

I have a free day today, so I am going through some of the documentation
and giving it a good polish. I came across one particular part that is
sorely outdated:

This is in regards to the show() function and tells users that it can
only be used once in a script. By and large, this is no longer true,
but I want to make sure that I don't give bad information here. Is
there someplace else in the docs where this information is current that
I can use for revising this section?

Not that I know of.

Because readers of the docs online may be running any of a range of mpl versions, you will need note how show() usage and behavior have evolved. The advantage of the old faq, outdated though it is, is that it won't mislead users of old mpl versions, and following its advice will still work for users of the current version.

New behavior, or at last the target: show() starts a GUI mainloop if it is not already running, and draws everything. If mpl is in non-interactive mode, it then blocks until the newly opened windows have been closed; if it is in interactive mode, it does not block. (The macosx backend does not have a non-interactive mode.) In either case, when things are working right, there is no restriction on multiple calls within a script or a shell session.

Note: Michiel deHoon is working on changes to master (code and docs) so that mpl will come up in interactive mode by default, instead of the present non-interactive default. The code change is trivial; the larger challenge is how to explain everything in the docs, while not confusing users of older versions.

The whole gui situation, with all the possible combinations of environment (ipython in its different versions, idle, etc.), mpl backend, other packages that might be used in conjunction with mpl (e.g. mayavi) and platform, is still unsettled. The big change was from the 0.9x series to 1.x series; some problems were sorted out between 1.0 and 1.0.1. More work in this area will be needed now and then.

All of this raises a question: can we move to clear versioning of the online docs, as with python itself, so that a user of 0.99.x won't be frustrated by an example or explanation that applies only to 1.0.x? Or can we be sufficiently careful to keep explanations of version differences in the evolving docs? These are not mutually exclusive, and the latter is particularly useful. For example, when using python 2.6 it is nice to be able to look at the docs and see that a feature was introduced in that version, so it won't be available on one's machines running 2.5. I think we now need to follow that practice in the mpl docs, or at least try to do so.

And on the topic of the docs, if anyone has time for a bigger project: it would be nice if the gallery could be *organized* in some systematic way, so that a user could more easily use it to find a needed feature. And as always, it would be nice to have the gallery examples cleaned up with respect to code and comment style, and edited to remove things that really are no longer of interest and to more clearly demonstrate features.

Eric

···

On 03/08/2011 08:08 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

Thanks,
Ben Root

Hello all,

I have a free day today, so I am going through some of the documentation

and giving it a good polish. I came across one particular part that is

sorely outdated:

This is in regards to the show() function and tells users that it can

only be used once in a script. By and large, this is no longer true,

but I want to make sure that I don’t give bad information here. Is

there someplace else in the docs where this information is current that

I can use for revising this section?

Not that I know of.

Because readers of the docs online may be running any of a range of mpl

versions, you will need note how show() usage and behavior have evolved.

The advantage of the old faq, outdated though it is, is that it won’t

mislead users of old mpl versions, and following its advice will still

work for users of the current version.

Good point. I hadn’t thought of that.

New behavior, or at last the target: show() starts a GUI mainloop if it

is not already running, and draws everything. If mpl is in

non-interactive mode, it then blocks until the newly opened windows have

been closed; if it is in interactive mode, it does not block. (The

macosx backend does not have a non-interactive mode.) In either case,

when things are working right, there is no restriction on multiple calls

within a script or a shell session.

Note: Michiel deHoon is working on changes to master (code and docs) so

that mpl will come up in interactive mode by default, instead of the

present non-interactive default. The code change is trivial; the larger

challenge is how to explain everything in the docs, while not confusing

users of older versions.
The whole gui situation, with all the possible combinations of

environment (ipython in its different versions, idle, etc.), mpl

backend, other packages that might be used in conjunction with mpl (e.g.

mayavi) and platform, is still unsettled. The big change was from the

0.9x series to 1.x series; some problems were sorted out between 1.0 and

1.0.1. More work in this area will be needed now and then.

All of this raises a question: can we move to clear versioning of the

online docs, as with python itself, so that a user of 0.99.x won’t be

frustrated by an example or explanation that applies only to 1.0.x? Or

can we be sufficiently careful to keep explanations of version

differences in the evolving docs? These are not mutually exclusive, and

the latter is particularly useful. For example, when using python 2.6

it is nice to be able to look at the docs and see that a feature was

introduced in that version, so it won’t be available on one’s machines

running 2.5. I think we now need to follow that practice in the mpl

docs, or at least try to do so.

I have personally had to field several questions from users of older mpl who tried the new way of creating 3d axes on their systems. Unfortunately, when I created the documentation, I completely removed all traces of the old method, forgetting that some users will have difficulty with those instructions.

Today, my goal is mostly polishing work. I will try and see if I could make some explanations more version-agnostic or to specifically point out differences in versions.

I personally see a lot of value in providing multiple versions of the docs (maybe supported - 1 releases back?).

And on the topic of the docs, if anyone has time for a bigger project:

it would be nice if the gallery could be organized in some systematic

way, so that a user could more easily use it to find a needed feature.

And as always, it would be nice to have the gallery examples cleaned up

with respect to code and comment style, and edited to remove things that

really are no longer of interest and to more clearly demonstrate features.

I can see about doing some of this tomorrow if it turns out I have another free day…

Ben Root

···

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Eric Firing <efiring@…706…29…> wrote:

On 03/08/2011 08:08 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

Are there any update on your work Ben?

It might be a good idea to update svn based based development to git workflow or at least put a reminder in the news section on the documentation noting that matplotlib code has a new home at
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib

···

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root@…552…553…> wrote:

Hello all,

I have a free day today, so I am going through some of the documentation and giving it a good polish. I came across one particular part that is sorely outdated:

This is in regards to the show() function and tells users that it can only be used once in a script. By and large, this is no longer true, but I want to make sure that I don’t give bad information here. Is there someplace else in the docs where this information is current that I can use for revising this section?

Thanks,
Ben Root

What You Don’t Know About Data Connectivity CAN Hurt You

This paper provides an overview of data connectivity, details

its effect on application quality, and explores various alternative

solutions. http://p.sf.net/sfu/progress-d2d

Matplotlib-devel mailing list

Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

Gökhan

Gokhan and others,

Unfortunately, I did not have as much time as I had originally envisioned. Therefore, my edits were more limited than I originally intended. However, I did significantly improve the faqs, fixed some formatting issues (someone had TABS!), spelling and grammatical issues, and some sphinx build warnings. In addition, I improved the docs a bit for mplot3d. mplot3d still needs to get added to a table of contents somewhere, but I am not sure what is the right spot.

Anyway, this pull request: https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/45 represents my work to this point and was made against the v1.0.x branch, and it should merge nicely into master (although there might be a conflict in one of the commits…).

I will now be starting my PhD General Exam (yes, again…) and will be effectively offline until April 29th. I will not be following any emails from matplotlib-users, and I will likely also ignore matplotlib-devel. If there are any issues that needs my attention, please email me directly.

Take care!
Ben Root

···

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@…149…> wrote:

Are there any update on your work Ben?

It might be a good idea to update svn based based development to git workflow or at least put a reminder in the news section on the documentation noting that matplotlib code has a new home at https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib