Ubuntu Hardy and matplotlib

Hi,

I am not managing to ge matplotlib to work with the new Ubuntu realease hardy 8.04. After I install the python-matplotlib package, I am not able to list my modules in the help() section and I can also not import pylab. As anyone ha that problem and found a solution?

Thanks.

···

--
This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.

I don't see this myself. Are you running the correct Python (not accidentally running Python2.4, for example)? Do you have a /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib directory? What is the exact error message when you import pylab?

Cheers,
Mike

Marjolaine Rouault wrote:

···

Hi,

I am not managing to ge matplotlib to work with the new Ubuntu realease hardy 8.04. After I install the python-matplotlib package, I am not able to list my modules in the help() section and I can also not import pylab. As anyone ha that problem and found a solution?

Thanks.

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

hi

I am running python 2.5 and installing the matplotlib using synaptic so it is installing the correct version (I assume). After installing matplotlib, In the help(), this is what i get when asking for the modules liist:

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site.py", line 342, in __call__
    return pydoc.help(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1649, in __call__
    self.interact()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1667, in interact
    self.help(request)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1683, in help
    elif request == 'modules': self.listmodules()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1804, in listmodules
    ModuleScanner().run(callback)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1855, in run
    for importer, modname, ispkg in pkgutil.walk_packages():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pkgutil.py", line 125, in walk_packages
    for item in walk_packages(path, name+'.', onerror):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pkgutil.py", line 110, in walk_packages
    __import__(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    from rcparams import rc
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/rcparams.py", line 117, in <module>
    rcParams = rc_params()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/rcparams.py", line 49, in rc_params
    fname = get_config_file()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/cutils.py", line 181, in get_config_file
    path = get_data_path() # guaranteed to exist or raise
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/verbose.py", line 74, in wrapper
    ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/cutils.py", line 129, in _get_data_path_cached
    defaultParams['datapath'][0] = _get_data_path()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/cutils.py", line 125, in _get_data_path
    raise RuntimeError('Could not find the matplotlib data files')
RuntimeError: Could not find the matplotlib data files

if I try import pylab, this is what I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in <module>
    from matplotlib.pylab import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 208, in <module>
    from matplotlib import mpl # pulls in most modules
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl.py", line 4, in <module>
    from matplotlib import axes
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/axes.py", line 18, in <module>
    from matplotlib import dates as mdates
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/dates.py", line 91, in <module>
    from dateutil.rrule import rrule, MO, TU, WE, TH, FR, SA, SU, YEARLY, \
ImportError: No module named dateutil.rrule

Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...86...> 05/30/08 2:11 PM >>>

I don't see this myself. Are you running the correct Python (not
accidentally running Python2.4, for example)? Do you have a
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib directory? What is the
exact error message when you import pylab?

Cheers,
Mike

···

Hi,

Thanks.

--

--
This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.

I'm somewhat grasping at straws here: the Ubuntu-packaged matplotlib works for me on Hardy.

Thanks. Ubuntu puts the matplotlib data files in a separate package, python-matplotlib-data. That *should* have installed automatically alongside python-matplotlib, but you may want to try forcing that:

sudo apt-get install python-matplotlib-data

If that fails, try reinstalling both python-matplotlib and python-matplotlib-data.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall python-matplotlib

The second error also seems like another instance of the same: the python-dateutil package should be installed.

Cheers,
Mike

···

hi

I am running python 2.5 and installing the matplotlib using synaptic so it is installing the correct version (I assume). After installing matplotlib, In the help(), this is what i get when asking for the modules liist:

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site.py", line 342, in __call__
    return pydoc.help(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1649, in __call__
    self.interact()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1667, in interact
    self.help(request)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1683, in help
    elif request == 'modules': self.listmodules()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1804, in listmodules
    ModuleScanner().run(callback)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1855, in run
    for importer, modname, ispkg in pkgutil.walk_packages():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pkgutil.py", line 125, in walk_packages
    for item in walk_packages(path, name+'.', onerror):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pkgutil.py", line 110, in walk_packages
    __import__(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    from rcparams import rc
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/rcparams.py", line 117, in <module>
    rcParams = rc_params()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/rcparams.py", line 49, in rc_params
    fname = get_config_file()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/cutils.py", line 181, in get_config_file
    path = get_data_path() # guaranteed to exist or raise
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/verbose.py", line 74, in wrapper
    ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/cutils.py", line 129, in _get_data_path_cached
    defaultParams['datapath'][0] = _get_data_path()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/config/cutils.py", line 125, in _get_data_path
    raise RuntimeError('Could not find the matplotlib data files')
RuntimeError: Could not find the matplotlib data files

if I try import pylab, this is what I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in <module>
    from matplotlib.pylab import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 208, in <module>
    from matplotlib import mpl # pulls in most modules
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl.py", line 4, in <module>
    from matplotlib import axes
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/axes.py", line 18, in <module>
    from matplotlib import dates as mdates
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/dates.py", line 91, in <module>
    from dateutil.rrule import rrule, MO, TU, WE, TH, FR, SA, SU, YEARLY, \
ImportError: No module named dateutil.rrule

Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...86...> 05/30/08 2:11 PM >>>

I don't see this myself. Are you running the correct Python (not accidentally running Python2.4, for example)? Do you have a /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib directory? What is the exact error message when you import pylab?

Cheers,
Mike

Hi,

Thanks.

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

Hallo!

I had the same problem today.
However, in my case gtk was missing and I fixed it with installing
apt-get install python-gtk2

LG
Georg