Trouble installing matplotlib

Trouble installing matplotlib
Hi people,

I’m new to unix, python and matplotlib. I’ve had trouble installing matplotlib. The machine I’m on is running solaris. I tried installing it on my friend’s ubuntu box and it worked basically immediately. After some effort I managed to get it to compile and install on solaris.

In python as root when I type “from pylab import *” I get this error:

···

=========================

ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file /opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/_path.so: symbol _1c2N6FI_pv: referenced symbol not found

As my normal account I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “test.py”, line 1, in

from pylab import *

File “/opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/pylab.py”, line 1, in

from matplotlib.pylab import *

File “/opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/init.py”, line 677, in

rcParams = rc_params()

File “/opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/init.py”, line 598, in rc_params

fname = matplotlib_fname()

File “/opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/init.py”, line 548, in matplotlib_fname

fname = os.path.join(get_configdir(), 'matplotlibrc')

File “/opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/init.py”, line 242, in wrapper

ret = func(*args, **kwargs)

File “/opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/init.py”, line 435, in _get_configdir

raise RuntimeError("'%s' is not a writable dir; you must set %s/.matplotlib to be a writable dir.  You can also set environment variable MPLCONFIGDIR to any writable directory where you want matplotlib data stored "% (h, h))

RuntimeError: ‘/local/host/home/mctran’ is not a writable dir; you must set /local/host/home/mctran/.matplotlib to be a writable dir. You can also set environment variable MPLCONFIGDIR to any writable directory where you want matplotlib data stored

when I tried to set MPLCONFIGDIR to a directory, I got the earlier error. I tried recompiling and reinstalling to no avail.

I searched on the mailing list for anything like this, but there were no hits. Any ideas how I can fix this?