Test Failure: AttributeError: incompatible shape for a non-contiguous array

Greetings,

I’ve banged my head against this problem for 2 days and have given up on figuring it out on my own…

After updating numpy and matplotlib to the latest versions from github Saturday morning, I keep getting “AttributeError: incompatible shape for a non-contiguous array” errors all over the place when plotting. When I run tests on numpy, everything passes. When I run tests on matplotlib, I get 51 errors, with a vast majority of them (possibly all) being the non-contiguous array errors. (Sample below)

Any suggestions here? I’m totally stumped.

PTM

···

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nose-1.2.1-py2.7.egg/nose/case.py”, line 197, in runTest

self.test(*self.arg)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py”, line 39, in failer

result = f(*args, **kwargs)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py”, line 145, in do_test

figure.savefig(actual_fname)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/figure.py”, line 1363, in savefig

self.canvas.print_figure(*args, **kwargs)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backend_bases.py”, line 2118, in print_figure

**kwargs)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backend_bases.py”, line 1894, in print_svg

return svg.print_svg(*args, **kwargs)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_svg.py”, line 1103, in print_svg

return self._print_svg(filename, svgwriter, fh_to_close, **kwargs)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_svg.py”, line 1139, in _print_svg

self.figure.draw(renderer)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/artist.py”, line 54, in draw_wrapper

draw(artist, renderer, *args, **kwargs)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/figure.py”, line 999, in draw

func(*args)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/artist.py”, line 54, in draw_wrapper

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/axes.py”, line 2086, in draw

a.draw(renderer)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/collections.py”, line 699, in draw

return Collection.draw(self, renderer)

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/collections.py”, line 248, in draw

transform, transOffset, offsets, paths = self._prepare_points()

File “/home/Patrick.Marsh/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/collections.py”, line 222, in _prepare_points

offsets.shape = (-1, 2) # Make it Nx2

AttributeError: incompatible shape for a non-contiguous array

Ran 1123 tests in 401.586s

FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=282, SKIP=3, errors=51)

Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Candidate / Liaison to the HWT
School of Meteorology / University of Oklahoma

Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
National Severe Storms Laboratory
http://www.patricktmarsh.com

I am guessing this is a problem introduced with NumPy. I just tried the tests with an older NumPy branch, and all seemed fine. Now testing with the most recent branch.

Ben Root

···

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Patrick Marsh <patrickmarshwx@…149…> wrote:

Greetings,

I’ve banged my head against this problem for 2 days and have given up on figuring it out on my own…

After updating numpy and matplotlib to the latest versions from github Saturday morning, I keep getting “AttributeError: incompatible shape for a non-contiguous array” errors all over the place when plotting. When I run tests on numpy, everything passes. When I run tests on matplotlib, I get 51 errors, with a vast majority of them (possibly all) being the non-contiguous array errors. (Sample below)

PTM

Confirming the bug (and it appears to be happening at a spot that I updated a couple years ago to catch exactly these sort of situations where reshaping would result in a copy when we didn’t want a copy).

I am presuming that it is a NumPy bug and will report it as such to the numpy list.

Cheers!
Ben Root

···

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root@…553…> wrote:

Greetings,

PTM

I am guessing this is a problem introduced with NumPy. I just tried the tests with an older NumPy branch, and all seemed fine. Now testing with the most recent branch.

Ben Root

Just a follow up for historical sake:

This is a bug in numpy and was introduced in this commit: https://github.com/numpy/numpy/commit/c48156dfdc408f0a1e59ef54ac490cccbd6b8d73

I’ve filed a ticket with Numpy and those interested can follow up here: https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/2700

PTM

···

Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Candidate / Liaison to the HWT
School of Meteorology / University of Oklahoma
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies

National Severe Storms Laboratory
http://www.patricktmarsh.com

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root@…553…> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root@…553…> wrote:

Greetings,

PTM

Ben Root

Confirming the bug (and it appears to be happening at a spot that I updated a couple years ago to catch exactly these sort of situations where reshaping would result in a copy when we didn’t want a copy).

I am presuming that it is a NumPy bug and will report it as such to the numpy list.

Cheers!
Ben Root