I am trying to install, in a private 'space', 0.98.3 on a linux x86-64 scientific cluster on which I am not the admin. tcl/tk is indeed installed, and I know where they are. matplotlib cannot find them. When running 'python setup.py build', tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh are on the path.
It seems tcl/tk detection is a persistent issue, from searching the web. My head hurts right now on this, so I hope there's some kind of an answer.
python setup.py build
python: 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Sep 25 2008, 16:58:03) [GCC
4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-38)]
OPTIONAL BACKEND DEPENDENCIES
Tkinter: Tkinter: 50704, Tk: 8.4, Tcl: 8.4
* Guessing the library and include directories for
* Tcl and Tk because the tclConfig.sh and
* tkConfig.sh could not be found and/or parsed.
* Building for Gtk+ requires pygtk; you must be able
* to "import gtk" in your build/install environment