svn is frozen; github migration underway

I have removed everyone's commit access to the mpl svn server in
advance of the github migration, which is underway. Darren will reply
when github is live.

svn is dead, long live github!

JDH

Excellent! I am glad to see that all the core scipy-related projects
will soon be on github (scipy will move to github as soon as the 0.9
release is finalized).

I am sure you know about this; but just as a reminder, Matthew and
Fernando made a set of generic instruction for using git/github:
  https://github.com/matthew-brett/gitwash
The idea being that all the core projects share a standard set of
procedures for using git/github and adopting similar workflow
policies. So far NumPy, IPython, and NIPY all use these instructions:

  https://github.com/numpy/numpy/tree/master/doc/source/dev/gitwash
  https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tree/master/docs/source/development/gitwash
  https://github.com/nipy/nipy/tree/master/doc/devel/guidelines/gitwash

If you want I am happy to take care of adding gitwash to the
matplotlib docs as soon as the move to git/github is done (and
generating a pull request).

Best,
Jarrod

···

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM, John Hunter wrote:

I have removed everyone's commit access to the mpl svn server in
advance of the github migration, which is underway. Darren will reply
when github is live.

Jarrod, that would be greatly appreciated.

···

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@...453...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM, John Hunter wrote:

I have removed everyone's commit access to the mpl svn server in
advance of the github migration, which is underway. Darren will reply
when github is live.

Excellent! I am glad to see that all the core scipy-related projects
will soon be on github (scipy will move to github as soon as the 0.9
release is finalized).

I am sure you know about this; but just as a reminder, Matthew and
Fernando made a set of generic instruction for using git/github:
https://github.com/matthew-brett/gitwash
The idea being that all the core projects share a standard set of
procedures for using git/github and adopting similar workflow
policies. So far NumPy, IPython, and NIPY all use these instructions:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/tree/master/doc/source/dev/gitwash
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tree/master/docs/source/development/gitwash
https://github.com/nipy/nipy/tree/master/doc/devel/guidelines/gitwash

If you want I am happy to take care of adding gitwash to the
matplotlib docs as soon as the move to git/github is done (and
generating a pull request).

I just pushed the repositories up to github.com/matplotlib .

A few notes:

* Jarrod offered to contribute to the docs to describe the recommended
workflow. For the impatient:

  - Visit https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib and hit the "fork" button
  - clone the resulting repository, eg "git clone
git@...679...:username/matplotlib.git"
  - make a new branch (git checkout -b new_feature) and hack away
  - don't merge upstream changes into your feature branch (it makes
the history graph look ugly)
  - when you are ready to have your changes merged upstream, push your
branch to your own repository at github
  - switch to that branch in your github profile, and select the "pull
request" button. This starts the code review process, which also gives
others a chance to inspect the git history graph before it gets merged
into the official mpl repo.

* python-3 support should happen in the matploltib-py3 repo, the
master branch in that repository contains Michael's changes from the
py3k svn branch, but rebased on top of the more recent changes to the
master branch in the main matplotlib repo.

Darren

···

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...149...> wrote:

I have removed everyone's commit access to the mpl svn server in
advance of the github migration, which is underway. Darren will reply
when github is live.

svn is dead, long live github!

I did a first pass at changing the documentation from describing svn
to git (including adding gitwash) and generated a pull request:
  https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/3

Best,
Jarrod

···

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Darren Dale wrote:

* Jarrod offered to contribute to the docs to describe the recommended
workflow.

Lets continue discussion at the pull request.

···

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@...453...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Darren Dale wrote:

* Jarrod offered to contribute to the docs to describe the recommended
workflow.

I did a first pass at changing the documentation from describing svn
to git (including adding gitwash) and generated a pull request:
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/3

We had some conflicting changes, but Jarrod graciously closed pull
request 3 without merging and reapplied the gitwash docs to the branch
at pull request 2. We could use some more eyes on that branch to
ensure the docs are current. Any help would be appreciated, please
direct feedback to https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/2 .

Thanks,
Darren

···

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@...149...> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@...453...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Darren Dale wrote:

* Jarrod offered to contribute to the docs to describe the recommended
workflow.

I did a first pass at changing the documentation from describing svn
to git (including adding gitwash) and generated a pull request:
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/3

Lets continue discussion at the pull request.

I just pushed the documentation up to the matplotlib.github.com repo,
so we can see whether we like hosting the docs at
matplotlib.github.com. The first push was pretty slow, 100 KB/s. The
docs are 80 MB.

Anyway, the documentation for working with git and github is currently
available at http://matplotlib.github.com/devel/gitwash/index.html

Darren

···

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@...149...> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@...149...> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@...453...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Darren Dale wrote:

* Jarrod offered to contribute to the docs to describe the recommended
workflow.

I did a first pass at changing the documentation from describing svn
to git (including adding gitwash) and generated a pull request:
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/3

Lets continue discussion at the pull request.

We had some conflicting changes, but Jarrod graciously closed pull
request 3 without merging and reapplied the gitwash docs to the branch
at pull request 2. We could use some more eyes on that branch to
ensure the docs are current. Any help would be appreciated, please
direct feedback to https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/2 .

Just a few things I noticed. First, the front page states that v1.0.0 is available for download, instead of v1.0.1. Second, the link for the changelog is broken (points to: http://matplotlib.github.com/_static/CHANGELOG). So far, everything else looks fine.

Ben Root

···

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@…149…> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@…149…> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@…149…> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@…453…> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Darren Dale wrote:

  • Jarrod offered to contribute to the docs to describe the recommended

workflow.

I did a first pass at changing the documentation from describing svn

to git (including adding gitwash) and generated a pull request:

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/3

Lets continue discussion at the pull request.

We had some conflicting changes, but Jarrod graciously closed pull

request 3 without merging and reapplied the gitwash docs to the branch

at pull request 2. We could use some more eyes on that branch to

ensure the docs are current. Any help would be appreciated, please

direct feedback to https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/2 .

I just pushed the documentation up to the matplotlib.github.com repo,

so we can see whether we like hosting the docs at

matplotlib.github.com. The first push was pretty slow, 100 KB/s. The

docs are 80 MB.

Anyway, the documentation for working with git and github is currently

available at http://matplotlib.github.com/devel/gitwash/index.html

Darren