STIX fonts outside of mathtext

Hello,
I'm very pleased with the STIX fonts support in mathtext. Thanks for
getting this working! However, I would like to use the same font in
labels which do not contain mathtext, for consistency. I cannot work out
how to do this. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks,
John

In your matplotlibrc file, you can set the following:

font.family : serif
font.serif : STIXGeneral

Also note the numerals and Latin characters are extremely similar if not identical to Times (or "Times New Roman"), so you could also use that for titles/labels etc., but it doesn't really matter.

Cheers,
Mike

John Travers wrote:

···

Hello,
I'm very pleased with the STIX fonts support in mathtext. Thanks for
getting this working! However, I would like to use the same font in
labels which do not contain mathtext, for consistency. I cannot work out
how to do this. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks,
John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2008.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using the stixsans font for mathtext,
so I need sans-serif fonts for the rest of the text. STIXGeneral appears
to be serif only (changing the rc options to sans-serif etc. does not
work). Should I use Vera instead? Or have I miss understood
something (I'm not particularly informed about fonts)?

Thanks again,
John

···

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:22:57AM -0500, Michael Droettboom wrote:

In your matplotlibrc file, you can set the following:

font.family : serif
font.serif : STIXGeneral

Also note the numerals and Latin characters are extremely similar if not
identical to Times (or "Times New Roman"), so you could also use that
for titles/labels etc., but it doesn't really matter.

Cheers,
Mike

John Travers wrote:

Hello,
I'm very pleased with the STIX fonts support in mathtext. Thanks for
getting this working! However, I would like to use the same font in
labels which do not contain mathtext, for consistency. I cannot work out
how to do this. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks,
John

John Travers wrote:

In your matplotlibrc file, you can set the following:

font.family : serif
font.serif : STIXGeneral

Also note the numerals and Latin characters are extremely similar if not identical to Times (or "Times New Roman"), so you could also use that for titles/labels etc., but it doesn't really matter.

Cheers,
Mike

John Travers wrote:

Hello,
I'm very pleased with the STIX fonts support in mathtext. Thanks for
getting this working! However, I would like to use the same font in
labels which do not contain mathtext, for consistency. I cannot work out
how to do this. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks,
John

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using the stixsans font for mathtext,
so I need sans-serif fonts for the rest of the text. STIXGeneral appears
to be serif only (changing the rc options to sans-serif etc. does not
work). Should I use Vera instead? Or have I miss understood
something (I'm not particularly informed about fonts)?

I just assumed you were using the STIX serif mode. Unfortunately, the sans-serif stuff in the STIX fonts are at math-specific code points in the same font file, so you can't just tell matplotlib to use it and have it work, unfortunately. Support specifically for that could be added to matplotlib, but it's not straightforward.

You could use another sans-serif font, but I'm not sure specifically which one STIX is based on (the information is pretty thin on the STIX website). It's definitely not Helvetica/Arial etc. Does anyone else know?

And slightly OT -- if there's any other font geeks out there. I just found the "identifont" website which asks a series of questions about a font you want to identify and then presents a list of fonts that meet that criteria. It failed to identify the STIX sans-serif characters -- I suppose its database isn't big enough. But still an interesting solution to the problem nonetheless.

Cheers,
Mike

···

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:22:57AM -0500, Michael Droettboom wrote:

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA