Solaris and GCC 4.3.x: error TTStreamWriter has no putc

When attempting to build matplotlib 0.98.5.2 on Solaris 10 using GCC 4.3.3, I get an error:

ttconv/pprdrv_tt2.cpp: In member function ‘void GlyphToType3::stack(TTStreamWriter&, int)’:
ttconv/pprdrv_tt2.cpp:107: error: ‘class TTStreamWriter’ has no member named ‘putc’

So I tried invoking GCC with the -E flag to get the output of the preprocessor and I see that line 107 of pprdrv_tt2.cpp gets rewritten to:
stream.putc(('{'), (&__iob[1]));
so it seems that something in GCC 4.3.3 on Solaris is defining a putchar macro that is doing this, but not correspondingly being applied to the pprdrv.h.

Searching the list archives, I see that back in July & August, 2008 there was a brief thread between Peter Norton and Mike Droettboom about this and a proposal was made to rename TTStreamWriter::putchar to TTStreamWriter:put_char. I just looked at the trunk and it looks like this has never been done. Was there some other work-around that didn't make it into the thread that obviated the need for the mentioned change?

I can confirm that the renaming of putchar to put_char does solve the problem. I've attached a patch file, though it is against 0.98.5.2.

-- Dave

solaris_ttconv.patch (2.92 KB)

Thanks. I have committed this to the 0.98.x branch and the trunk, so this fix will make it into the next release.

Mike

Dave Peterson wrote:

···

When attempting to build matplotlib 0.98.5.2 on Solaris 10 using GCC 4.3.3, I get an error:

ttconv/pprdrv_tt2.cpp: In member function �void GlyphToType3::stack(TTStreamWriter&, int)�:
ttconv/pprdrv_tt2.cpp:107: error: �class TTStreamWriter� has no member named �putc�

So I tried invoking GCC with the -E flag to get the output of the preprocessor and I see that line 107 of pprdrv_tt2.cpp gets rewritten to:
stream.putc(('{'), (&__iob[1]));
so it seems that something in GCC 4.3.3 on Solaris is defining a putchar macro that is doing this, but not correspondingly being applied to the pprdrv.h.

Searching the list archives, I see that back in July & August, 2008 there was a brief thread between Peter Norton and Mike Droettboom about this and a proposal was made to rename TTStreamWriter::putchar to TTStreamWriter:put_char. I just looked at the trunk and it looks like this has never been done. Was there some other work-around that didn't make it into the thread that obviated the need for the mentioned change?

I can confirm that the renaming of putchar to put_char does solve the problem. I've attached a patch file, though it is against 0.98.5.2.

-- Dave

------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Register Now & Save for Velocity, the Web Performance & Operations Conference from O'Reilly Media. Velocity features a full day of expert-led, hands-on workshops and two days of sessions from industry leaders in dedicated Performance & Operations tracks. Use code vel09scf and Save an extra 15% before 5/3. http://p.sf.net/sfu/velocityconf
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

Excellent. For the record this is/was also a problem on some FreeBSD
releases, so I am glad it was cleanly fixed.

I have been sitting on some trivial FreeBSD 7/8 and a gcc 4.4 build
fix. Is it still time to get those into 0.98.x?

Cheers,

Michael

···

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...> wrote:

Thanks. I have committed this to the 0.98.x branch and the trunk, so
this fix will make it into the next release.

Mike

There is certainly time to get it into the trunk – if you want to put it in as a bugfix on the branch, you must be pretty sure that this will not break anything because it is a bugfix release.

JDH

···

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Michael Abshoff <mabshoff@…564…> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…31…> wrote:

Thanks. I have committed this to the 0.98.x branch and the trunk, so

this fix will make it into the next release.

Mike

Excellent. For the record this is/was also a problem on some FreeBSD

releases, so I am glad it was cleanly fixed.

I have been sitting on some trivial FreeBSD 7/8 and a gcc 4.4 build

fix. Is it still time to get those into 0.98.x?