show() does not pop up a window

I’ve just installed numpy 1.6 and matplotlib 1.0.0 from source code on two linux machines, both running linux Ubuntu OS with python installed from Synaptic Package Manager. I’ve noticed no anomalies one machine. On the second machine, graphic window does not pop up. I’m run python non-interactively. For example:

python demo_axes_grid.py

returns to command prompt without error on misbehaving machine. That same standard program works fine on the other machine. Interestingly, everything was working fine yesterday under version 0.99.

Mike

I've just installed numpy 1.6 and matplotlib 1.0.0 from source code on
two linux machines, both running linux Ubuntu OS with python installed
from Synaptic Package Manager. I've noticed no anomalies one machine. On
the second machine, graphic window does not pop up. I'm run python
non-interactively. For example:

> python demo_axes_grid.py

returns to command prompt without error on misbehaving machine. That
same standard program works fine on the other machine. Interestingly,
everything was working fine yesterday under version 0.99.

It sounds like on that machine, the default backend is getting set to a non-interactive backend.

From an ipython or python prompt, try this:

import matplotlib
print matplotlib.get_backend()

Also, if you are going to the trouble of installing from source, please install an up-to-date version (present release is 1.1.0), not 1.0.0.

Eric

···

On 02/21/2012 10:28 AM, Michael Rawlins wrote:

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Your Developer Skills Current with LearnDevNow!
The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers
is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3,
Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Mike,

At the very least, please try out v1.0.1, but I recommend v1.1.0. These releases contains many fixes to the show() behavior. If it still doesn’t work, could you please attach your mpl build log?

Ben Root

···

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Michael Rawlins <rawlins02@…9…> wrote:

I’ve just installed numpy 1.6 and matplotlib 1.0.0 from source code on two linux machines, both running linux Ubuntu OS with python installed from Synaptic Package Manager. I’ve noticed no anomalies one machine. On the second machine, graphic window does not pop up. I’m run python non-interactively. For example:

python demo_axes_grid.py

returns to command prompt without error on misbehaving machine. That same standard program works fine on the other machine. Interestingly, everything was working fine yesterday under version 0.99.

Mike

···

To: Michael Rawlins <rawlins02@…9…>
Cc:matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net” <matplotlib-users@…712…orge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] show() does not pop up a window

python demo_axes_grid.py

Mike

Mike,

At the very least, please try out v1.0.1, but I recommend v1.1.0. These releases contains many fixes to the show() behavior. If it still doesn’t work, could you please attach your mpl build log?

Ben Root

I’ve removed v1.0.0 and installed v1.1.0. Tried Eric’s suggestion.

python
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec 7 2009, 18:45:15)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import matplotlib
agg

Then quit python and ran demo.

python demo_axes_grid.py

No plot window came up.

Ben: Where is the build log? A file name? Does the build require and option to be given to produce the log?

Mike

The results show that none of the backends are building and you are only getting the non-interactive backends. For the build log, just redirect the output to a file, like so:

python setup.py install > build.log

Ben Root

···

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012, Michael Rawlins wrote:

To: Michael Rawlins <rawlins02@…9…>
Cc:matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net” <matplotlib-users@…564…net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] show() does not pop up a window

python demo_axes_grid.py

Mike

Mike,

Ben Root

I’ve removed v1.0.0 and installed v1.1.0. Tried Eric’s suggestion.

python
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec 7 2009, 18:45:15)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import matplotlib
agg

Then quit python and ran demo.

python demo_axes_grid.py

No plot window came up.

Ben: Where is the build log? A file name? Does the build require and option to be given to produce the log?

Mike