Running basemap 0.99.4 on RHEL

I just built matplotlib and basemap from source on a RHEL system, with EPD as my base Python installation.

The build procedure for matplotlib was fairly straightforward, as was basemap (once I read Jeff's documentation on installing).

However, once I try to import basemap, I get an error about dbflib (ipython session below):

In [1]: from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImportError Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/shake/losspager/1.15/<ipython console> in <module>()

/usr/local/epd/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/basemap/__init__.py in <module>()
      36 from matplotlib.lines import Line2D
      37 from matplotlib.transforms import Bbox
---> 38 import pyproj, sys, os, math, dbflib
      39 from proj import Proj
      40 import numpy as np

ImportError: No module named dbflib

Where is dbflib supposed to be?

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:

I just built matplotlib and basemap from source on a RHEL system, with EPD as my base Python installation.

The build procedure for matplotlib was fairly straightforward, as was basemap (once I read Jeff's documentation on installing).

However, once I try to import basemap, I get an error about dbflib (ipython session below):

Mike: Try editing setup.cfg and changing

pyshapelib = True

It's set to 'auto' by default. I bet it's detecting an existing pyshapelib install, but then can find all the parts of it that it needs.

-Jeff

···

/usr/local/epd/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/basemap/ __init__.py in <module>()
      39 from proj import Proj
      40 import numpy as np

Thanks,

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with Crystal Reports now. http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD R/PSD1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...236...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-113
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory

Jeff - Thanks, that seemed to solve _that_ problem. However, after going through the build process (again, successfully), I get the following when trying to import Basemap:

from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
   File "/usr/local/epd/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/basemap/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
     import _geoslib, netcdftime
ImportError: libgeos_c.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I had to compile geos because this version of Basemap didn't seem to work with the version of geos that EPD uses. I built GEOS in a local home directory. Do I need to build it in a global location (like /usr/local)?

--Mike

···

On Aug 25, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Michael Hearne wrote:

pyshapelib = True

It's set to 'auto' by default. I bet it's detecting an existing pyshapelib install, but then can find all the parts of it that it needs.

-Jeff

/usr/local/epd/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/basemap/ __init__.py in <module>()
     39 from proj import Proj
     40 import numpy as np

Thanks,

Mike

Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with Crystal Reports now. http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

--
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory

Michael Hearne wrote:

Jeff - Thanks, that seemed to solve _that_ problem. However, after going through the build process (again, successfully), I get the following when trying to import Basemap:

from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
  File "/usr/local/epd/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/basemap/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
    import _geoslib, netcdftime
ImportError: libgeos_c.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I had to compile geos because this version of Basemap didn't seem to work with the version of geos that EPD uses. I built GEOS in a local home directory. Do I need to build it in a global location (like /usr/local)?

--Mike

Mike: Sounds like you need to modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH to add the directory where you installed libgeos.

-Jeff

···

On Aug 25, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Michael Hearne wrote:

pyshapelib = True

-Jeff

39 from proj import Proj
     40 import numpy as np

Thanks,

Mike

--

--