reformatting

Improved consistency is a good thing. And ANSI is a sane choice (even though my muscle memory knows K&R, I'm willing to fight against that for the betterment of the whole... just don't be surprised if I screw some things up initially ;).

I do have one concern, however. It is very useful for me to be able to cross-compare the branch to the trunk, and I wouldn't want there to be so many irrelevant differences that that became more difficult. It may be that if astyle was run on both the branch and the trunk that things would still be okay, but I think it's worth checking before committing, just to be sure. We would still have problems diffing into the past on either tree, however. That is perhaps an argument for waiting and only doing this on the branch (once it becomes the trunk).

Also, I would suggest that we not reformat any code that was brought in reasonably clean from other sources (Agg, CXX, ttconv). It is useful to diff those files against new versions as they are released.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Droettboom wrote:

Improved consistency is a good thing. And ANSI is a sane choice
(even though my muscle memory knows K&R, I'm willing to fight against
that for the betterment of the whole... just don't be surprised if I
screw some things up initially ;).

I do have one concern, however. It is very useful for me to be able
to cross-compare the branch to the trunk, and I wouldn't want there
to be so many irrelevant differences that that became more difficult.
It may be that if astyle was run on both the branch and the trunk
that things would still be okay, but I think it's worth checking
before committing, just to be sure. We would still have problems
diffing into the past on either tree, however. That is perhaps an
argument for waiting and only doing this on the branch (once it
becomes the trunk).

This is exactly what I was concerned with, also. We can wait. Why don't you do it (or give me the all-clear) whenever it seems helpful and appropriate. You can choose K&R if you prefer; I have always used ansi because it makes the bracket matching clearest to me, but I recognize that K&R has an advantage in being more compact. Either is OK.

Also, I would suggest that we not reformat any code that was brought
in reasonably clean from other sources (Agg, CXX, ttconv). It is
useful to diff those files against new versions as they are released.

Agreed, absolutely.

Eric