Quiver - too fat arrows

When I do a plot with quiver, I get very fat vectors - the arrow head length is about 0.1 times the total height of the plot. If I do the following plot:

from pylab import *
t=[-0.9,-0.7,-0.5,-0.3,-0.1,0.1,0.3,0.5,0.7,0.9]
x,y=meshgrid(t,t)
axis(‘equal’)
quiver(x,y,-y,x)
show()

• it is very difficult to see the single vectors because they are overlapping. I have tried different values of “width” in the call to quiver (e.g. width=0.1), but this has no effect.

I am using Windows XP, Python 2.4.3 - Enthought Edition 1.0.0 and matplotlib ver. 0.87.3 - but I saw the same problem in an earlier windows installation.

/Erik Meyer

Erik,

I don't know of any solution with the old version, but there is a new version of quiver in svn; with it, your example produces ftp://currents.soest.hawaii.edu/pub/outgoing/q.png

Eric

Erik Meyer wrote:

···

When I do a plot with quiver, I get very fat vectors - the arrow head length is about 0.1 times the total height of the plot. If I do the following plot:

from pylab import *
t=[-0.9,-0.7,-0.5,-0.3,-0.1,0.1,0.3,0.5,0.7,0.9]
x,y=meshgrid(t,t)
axis('equal')
quiver(x,y,-y,x)
show()

- it is very difficult to see the single vectors because they are overlapping. I have tried different values of "width" in the call to quiver (e.g. width=0.1), but this has no effect.

I am using Windows XP, Python 2.4.3 - Enthought Edition 1.0.0 and matplotlib ver. 0.87.3 - but I saw the same problem in an earlier windows installation.

/Erik Meyer

------------------------------------------------------------------------