Well, the good news is that I was able to get it to compile and run the wxPython backend on Windows. The bad news is that my symptoms are different enough from yours that I'm not sure this will help you.
I started with a reasonably clean Windows XP SP2 machine with no development tools on it. I installed (using the standard binary installers) the most recent stable releases of the following:
- Python 2.5.1 (python.org)
- MinGW-5.1.3 (selecting the "current" release option)
I checked out the latest matplotlib from svn (r3662).
I downloaded and uncompressed win32_static from here: http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/win32_static.tar.gz
I did not do the pexports step, as I don't think MinGW requires it any longer.
I updated profile24.bat to point at my new Python 2.5 (this should probably be added to win32_static when someone gets a chance).
I then built and installed using:
python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 install
(Note that I didn't build and use the Windows installer as the instructions suggest -- I doubt that makes a difference, though).
It built fine the first time.
Then I ran into problems. When importing certain extension modules (ft2font, _transforms etc.), but not others (ttconv), I got a dialog with the error message:
"The procedure entry point _ctype could not be located in
the dynamic link library msvcr71.dll"
...and then the module would fail to load.
This is quite different from what William was seeing, since for him the modules were obviously loading and then failing in the initialization code.
Googling tells me that this is because libstdc++ (specifically the <string> and <iostream> stuff) depends on _ctype for determining the types of various ASCII characters, which was in msvcrt.dll but was removed from msvcrt71.dll. Python2.5 is built with and therefore requires its extensions to link to msvcrt71.dll, so that's what you get by default. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to hurt to link to both. I added the following to setup.py, right before the final "distrib = setup(..." section:
from setupext import get_win32_compiler
if sys.platform == 'win32' and get_win32_compiler() == 'mingw32':
for module in ext_modules:
After this change, I was able to run embedding_in_wx4.py and get a window with a plot in it. Everything *seems* to be in order.
William, I'm really curious if the above fix solves your problem. I probably shouldn't spend too much more time on this myself, as Windows isn't a very common platform for us (by that I mean my employer, STScI, not matplotlib as a whole). If I can admit selfishness, I really just wanted to make sure I hadn't hosed anything with my recent setup.py changes. I think that has been ruled out, and instead we now have what looks like a big amorphous configuration-difference problem.