Python shell despite no IPython problems

Brenton,

It’s good to know that those other solutions work. Unfortunately, I’m just sitting down at my Windows 7 computer, and I can’t reproduce your problem. I’m also using the Anaconda Python distribution, which might have different behavior than your installation method.

However, you’re in luck, because there are many, many ways to get IPython to do what you want. (In fact, anything the Python interpreter does, IPython does better.) All the possible options, though, can make things a little tricky… Here’s a couple of examples:

C:> ipython -i filename.py

That will start IPython and automatically load the Python file “filename”. That way anything you define in “filename” will be available in the new IPython session. Alternatively, you can use the IPython “%run” magic from inside an IPython session:

In [1]: %run filename.py

That has the same effect as the first example.

As an alternative, IPython notebooks (http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/notebook/notebook.html) are a very nice way to interactively work with some data while also retaining all of the analysis code in a script-like manner. You can have your plots displayed in the webpage by typing the following in one of the cells:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

%matplotlib inline

You can install this using pip:

C:> pip install ipython[all]

I’m sorry I couldn’t help you with your original problem, but I hope these suggestions help.

Ryan

···

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Brenton Horne <brentonhorne77@…287…> wrote:

On 14/03/2015 10:31 PM, Ryan Nelson wrote:

>>> import

matplotlib

>>>

matplotlib.use(‘TkAgg’)

>>> import

matplotlib.pyplot as plt

>>>

plt.plot([1,2,3])

plt.show()

That works fine.

And

import matplotlib

matplotlib.use(‘TkAgg’)

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

plt.ion()

plt.plot([1,2,3])

works fine in IPython. I avoid using IPython btw because I don't

know how to call py files from it. When it comes to python commands
I like to save them as py files so I don’t have to continually type
them out. I know how to call files in the python shell as I access
it via the command prompt (i.e., by typing python filename.py).