python data vis Slack channels?

That sounds reasonable to me. My only concern is getting enough (any?) bandwidth from enough of the core mpl developers.

IPython and scikit image both have gitter rooms running that seem to working well for them as well, is there any reason to go with slack over gitter?

Tom

···

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Mon, May 4, 2015 at 11:44 AM
Subject: python data vis Slack channels?
To: Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…31…>, <tcaswell@…149…>

Hi guys,

We have been experimenting/toying with the idea of using a free Slack channel to provide a place for casual Bokeh user interactions. It occurred that it might be nice to have a single “pyvis.slack.com”, that has channels for several OSS python vis libraries in one place. Would you have any interest in a #matplotlib channel there? If there is a better place to submit this proposal, please let me know.

Regards,

Bryan Van de Ven

We've thought about gitter as well, personally my (slight) preference for Slack is that it does not require a GH account, and also, there is a nice OSS heroku app that provides a really nice "self-invite" button that shows how many users are on, too. You can see it on our test docs deploy:

http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/test/index.html

That said it is probably six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm not categorically opposed to looking into gitter some more.

My hope (and intent) is really to have this as a place for users to congregate and self-support. We do intend to monitor, to the extent we can, but like you there is precious little bandwidth form core devs.

Bryan

···

On May 4, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Thomas Caswell <tcaswell@...149...> wrote:

That sounds reasonable to me. My only concern is getting enough (any?) bandwidth from enough of the core mpl developers.

IPython and scikit image both have gitter rooms running that seem to working well for them as well, is there any reason to go with slack over gitter?

Tom

To: Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...>, <tcaswell@...149...>

Hi guys,

We have been experimenting/toying with the idea of using a free Slack channel to provide a place for casual Bokeh user interactions. It occurred that it might be nice to have a single "pyvis.slack.com", that has channels for several OSS python vis libraries in one place. Would you have any interest in a #matplotlib channel there? If there is a better place to submit this proposal, please let me know.

Regards,

Bryan Van de Ven

Gitter rooms are closely tied to Github repositories or organisations, so
if you wanted to use it for something as broad as Python visualisation,
you'd need a new Github organisation. That's not a big deal, of course, but
it might be a small point against it for that kind of use case.

Thomas

···

On 4 May 2015 at 09:45, Thomas Caswell <tcaswell@...149...> wrote:

IPython and scikit image both have gitter rooms running that seem to
working well for them as well, is there any reason to go with slack over
gitter?

For what it’s worth, there are matplotlib, scipy, and IPython channels on the freenode IRC network. I often answer questions there.

···

On Monday, May 4, 2015, Bryan Van de Ven <bryanv@…1211…> wrote:

We’ve thought about gitter as well, personally my (slight) preference for Slack is that it does not require a GH account, and also, there is a nice OSS heroku app that provides a really nice “self-invite” button that shows how many users are on, too. You can see it on our test docs deploy:

[http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/test/index.html](http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/test/index.html)

That said it is probably six of one, half dozen of the other. I’m not categorically opposed to looking into gitter some more.

My hope (and intent) is really to have this as a place for users to congregate and self-support. We do intend to monitor, to the extent we can, but like you there is precious little bandwidth form core devs.

Bryan

On May 4, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Thomas Caswell <tcaswell@…149…> wrote:

Tom

To: Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…31…>, <tcaswell@…149…>

Hi guys,

We have been experimenting/toying with the idea of using a free Slack channel to provide a place for casual Bokeh user interactions. It occurred that it might be nice to have a single “pyvis.slack.com”, that has channels for several OSS python vis libraries in one place. Would you have any interest in a #matplotlib channel there? If there is a better place to submit this proposal, please let me know.

Regards,

Bryan Van de Ven

One dashboard for servers and applications across Physical-Virtual-Cloud

Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications

Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable Insights

Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Matplotlib-devel mailing list

Matplotlib-devel@…1148…t

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel