pygtk/pygtk.h: No such file or directory

Hi
I got this error when I was trying to build the matplot lib . src/backend_gdk.c:8:25: error: pygtk/pygtk.h: No such file or directory

src/backend_gdk.c: In function âpixbuf_get_pixels_arrayâ:
src/backend_gdk.c:18: error: âPyGObjectâ undeclared (first use in this function)

src/backend_gdk.c:18: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
src/backend_gdk.c:18: error: for each function it appears in.)

src/backend_gdk.c:18: error: âpy_pixbufâ undeclared (first use in this function)
src/backend_gdk.c:19: error: âGdkPixbufâ undeclared (first use in this function)

src/backend_gdk.c:19: error: âgdk_pixbufâ undeclared (first use in this function

i tried to install pygtk-2.12.0 and pygobject- 2.12.1 but I got the error No package ‘pygobject-2.0’ found

can anyone please explain me the above errors

Thanks!
Satish

Satish,

Perhaps it would be useful to first read up on RHEL 4 (and Linux in general) package managers:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-rpm.html

In a link I have provided in a previous email, it contains a list of packages you should ensure are installed on your system before attempting to build matplotlib. In this case, you are missing some of the development libraries for pygtk.

In addition, given the amount of difficulties you are having with installing matplotlib, you might want to consider Enthought’s Python Distribution (often called EPD) to help make the entire process easier for you.

http://enthought.com/products/epd.php

Ben Root

···

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Satish Raghunath <qgu950@…3211…> wrote:

Hi
I got this error when I was trying to build the matplot lib . src/backend_gdk.c:8:25: error: pygtk/pygtk.h: No such file or directory

src/backend_gdk.c: In function âpixbuf_get_pixels_arrayâ:
src/backend_gdk.c:18: error: âPyGObjectâ undeclared (first use in this function)

src/backend_gdk.c:18: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
src/backend_gdk.c:18: error: for each function it appears in.)

src/backend_gdk.c:18: error: âpy_pixbufâ undeclared (first use in this function)
src/backend_gdk.c:19: error: âGdkPixbufâ undeclared (first use in this function)

src/backend_gdk.c:19: error: âgdk_pixbufâ undeclared (first use in this function

i tried to install pygtk-2.12.0 and pygobject- 2.12.1 but I got the error No package ‘pygobject-2.0’ found

can anyone please explain me the above errors

Thanks!
Satish