Problems with binary install of matplotlib-0.9.1 python2.4 on windows

Hi,

After upgrading to the new matplotlib 0.9.1 on python2.4 using the windows binary installer I get the following error:

C:\>python
Python 2.4.3 (#69, Mar 29 2006, 17:35:34) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import pylab
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\pylab.py", line 1, in ?
     from matplotlib.pylab import *
   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\pylab.py", line 206, in ?
     from matplotlib.numerix import npyma as ma
   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\numerix\__init__.py", line 20, in ?
     from matplotlib import rcParams, verbose
ImportError: cannot import name rcParams

Does anyone else see the same thing?

best regards
J�rgen

I gave it a try, and I did not get this error.

- Charlie

···

On Dec 3, 2007 12:57 PM, Jörgen Stenarson <jorgen.stenarson@...1799...> wrote:

Hi,

After upgrading to the new matplotlib 0.9.1 on python2.4 using the
windows binary installer I get the following error:

C:\>python
Python 2.4.3 (#69, Mar 29 2006, 17:35:34) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import pylab
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\pylab.py", line 1, in ?
     from matplotlib.pylab import *
   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\pylab.py", line 206, in ?
     from matplotlib.numerix import npyma as ma
   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\numerix\__init__.py",
line 20, in ?
     from matplotlib import rcParams, verbose
ImportError: cannot import name rcParams

Does anyone else see the same thing?

best regards
Jörgen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: The Future of Linux Business White Paper
from Novell. From the desktop to the data center, Linux is going
mainstream. Let it simplify your IT future.
http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/8857-50307-18918-4
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

I gave it a try, and I did not get this error.

I am seeing the problem on python2.5 using the binary exe installer.
It appears we are getting fouled up by setuptools special handling of
the __init__.py file, which is supposed to be empty I think to support
namespace packages. All the stuff we are defining in
matplotlib/__init__.py, like rcParams and friends, is being lost.
Instead, a

import matplotlib
dir(matplotlib)

just shows the special names '__path__', '__doc__', and '__name__',
and the 'toolkit' dir.

Charlie, I don't know how you handled this last time, but is there
something in setuptools you have to disable for this build?

JDH

···

On Dec 3, 2007 5:44 PM, Charlie Moad <cwmoad@...287...> wrote:

Well, here's a clue: matplotlib/__init__.py does not exist in this instal

JDH

···

On Dec 3, 2007 5:49 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

Charlie, I don't know how you handled this last time, but is there
something in setuptools you have to disable for this build?

When I copy all the dirs from the 2.5 egg you built into
site-packages, I get a matplotlib with rcParams and the rest of the
__init__.py stuff. Unfortunately, when I try to import pylab, I get
the dreaded old msvcp71.dll error. If I recall correctly, we used to
hack distutils to remove the line that linked with that lib.

JDH

···

On Dec 3, 2007 5:53 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

On Dec 3, 2007 5:49 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

> Charlie, I don't know how you handled this last time, but is there
> something in setuptools you have to disable for this build?

Well, here's a clue: matplotlib/__init__.py does not exist in this instal

I'll remove the exe's from SF. It's been a while since a release, and
I guess I was a little rusty. :wink:

- Charlie

···

On Dec 3, 2007 7:02 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

On Dec 3, 2007 5:53 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 5:49 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:
>
> > Charlie, I don't know how you handled this last time, but is there
> > something in setuptools you have to disable for this build?
>
> Well, here's a clue: matplotlib/__init__.py does not exist in this instal

When I copy all the dirs from the 2.5 egg you built into
site-packages, I get a matplotlib with rcParams and the rest of the
__init__.py stuff. Unfortunately, when I try to import pylab, I get
the dreaded old msvcp71.dll error. If I recall correctly, we used to
hack distutils to remove the line that linked with that lib.

JDH

I have posted fresh win32 eggs and exe's on SF. I explicitly removed
the inclusion of msvcp from distutils in numpy. Please give them a
try and let me know if you have any more problems. Note: I just
posted the files so it might take a while for them to propagate.

- Charlie

···

On Dec 3, 2007 9:47 PM, Charlie Moad <cwmoad@...287...> wrote:

I'll remove the exe's from SF. It's been a while since a release, and
I guess I was a little rusty. :wink:

- Charlie

On Dec 3, 2007 7:02 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:
>
> On Dec 3, 2007 5:53 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:
> > On Dec 3, 2007 5:49 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:
> >
> > > Charlie, I don't know how you handled this last time, but is there
> > > something in setuptools you have to disable for this build?
> >
> > Well, here's a clue: matplotlib/__init__.py does not exist in this instal
>
> When I copy all the dirs from the 2.5 egg you built into
> site-packages, I get a matplotlib with rcParams and the rest of the
> __init__.py stuff. Unfortunately, when I try to import pylab, I get
> the dreaded old msvcp71.dll error. If I recall correctly, we used to
> hack distutils to remove the line that linked with that lib.
>
> JDH
>

Charlie Moad skrev:

I have posted fresh win32 eggs and exe's on SF. I explicitly removed
the inclusion of msvcp from distutils in numpy. Please give them a
try and let me know if you have any more problems. Note: I just
posted the files so it might take a while for them to propagate.

- Charlie

Works fine for me now.

/J�rgen

I don't think we've purged the mscvp71 dependency -- I just installed
the 91.1 exe on my system and got the same error on pylab import. I
can fix it by dropping the dll into c:\windows\system32 (and I updated
the install notes to this effect) but this is a pretty onerous
requirement for the naive user, so if we can figure out how to remove
the dll dependency or ship the dll, that would be ideal.

JDH

···

On Dec 4, 2007 8:14 AM, Charlie Moad <cwmoad@...287...> wrote:

I have posted fresh win32 eggs and exe's on SF. I explicitly removed
the inclusion of msvcp from distutils in numpy. Please give them a
try and let me know if you have any more problems. Note: I just
posted the files so it might take a while for them to propagate.

Do Python 2.4 and 2.5 ship with this DLL?
(I notice it in my Python directories, and
I did not put it there.)

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

···

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, John Hunter apparently wrote:

I don't think we've purged the mscvp71 dependency --
I just installed the 91.1 exe on my system and got the
same error on pylab import. I can fix it by dropping the
dll into c:\windows\system32 (and I updated the install
notes to this effect) but this is a pretty onerous
requirement for the naive user, so if we can figure out
how to remove the dll dependency or ship the dll, that
would be ideal.